New Warchal Timbre string

August 10, 2018, 11:53 PM · Looks like Warchal now has a v.com ad for their new string, called "Timbre": LINK

This was alluded to in another thread last month: LINK

I am super curious to try them, when my current set wears out. (Amber E, Avantgarde A, Brilliant Vintage D and G.)

Anyone had a go at them?

Replies (44)

Edited: August 11, 2018, 2:00 AM · I read Warchal's description of them, and found it interesting enough that I took advantage of their offer for a single set at a discount direct from them. Haven't received them yet. It's interesting that they intend for them to be sold only through violin shops, and they will not be coiled but provided straight like gut strings. Anyway, I can be kind of impetuous about such things. I have several hundred dollars worth of string sets sitting in a drawer waiting for me to try them. I guess I can add Timbre to that list now. ??
August 11, 2018, 2:08 AM · I also ordered a set, but it seems they are on vacation this week and will ship next week. I have difficulties understanding the reason for selling through luthiers only - my local luthier has a very limited stock of strings and is not likely to be stocking these new strings any time soon. I will report back once I get the strings installed.
August 11, 2018, 6:35 AM · I am a long time Warchal fan and very interested in trying these new strings but I highly doubt the few repair shops around me will carry these new strings as they are very limited in what they stock. If I cannot buy a set of Timbre convienently from an online store such as Shar or Johnson String I will unfortunately pass on them.
Edited: August 11, 2018, 7:05 AM · Also note the drawing of bowing suggestion for the strings. I think this taps into M.Warchal's ideas of about bowing method that he has previously alluded to here on v.com
Ill take this opportunity to say that it would be great to have these ideas accessible to us if possible M. Warchal, in the form of a translation into English of your book or a series of videos as you see fit.

August 11, 2018, 8:57 AM · I just ordered a trial set. At half off the price I could not resist. My local luthier will order special string sets so if these are worth it you may want to ask your local shop to order them.
August 12, 2018, 12:10 AM · I hope the string is a success, but am wary of the company following Thomastik's lead with the "luthier only" availability option for now. From what I see in NYC, few are willing to entertain the possibility of selling even the other Warchal options with any regularity, and likely for unfair reasons (bias for the "tried and true" options that will most likely sell better.) I *support* the local shop myself-just not sure *they* will support the brand.

Relative kp measures, for those very few who may care:

E 8.5, A 5.5, A Steel 6.6 (that's quite heavy, but given the new tech, may feel "light" under the fingers-worth noting, however, in case your violin is "tension-picky"), D 4.7, G 4.6

In short, a medium tension set relative to synthetics, with an almost heavy E. 5.5 is standard "medium" for most synthetics, and even the Gold Label A has a similar tension. Only the steel A is "scary" tension-wise.

The name "Timbre" is much better than some better-known brands recent options (Il Cannone, Perpetual, et. al.-guess it's a minor complaint on my part.)

August 12, 2018, 6:56 PM · Frankly I hate the "exclusive distributors" idea. Whatever is their reasoning, whether they're trying to help brick-and-mortar shops or don't trust the customer's competence to install such strings on their own, or something else, as a busy spoiled 21st century consumer who can buy what he wants with one click on the web, that adds one or more steps to a process that as of now could only be simpler if we had teleportation figured out.
I'm a Warchal customer, I use their Brilliant strings and I highly recommend them. But I'm gonna give these a pass, simply because not only I'm happy with what I've got, but if I do like these new strings, I might have difficulty getting more when the time comes. :P
August 21, 2018, 3:43 AM · I received my set yesterday and installed them last night (keeping the pirastro platinum E). They stretch quickly, but the promised 12 minutes break-in time is optimistic.
They are brighter than what I am used to (oliv) and have a somewhat metallic edge especially on the A and D string. The response is quick and although they are bright as far as I can recall they sound fuller than Evah pirazzi green (has been a few years since I tried those though)

I am hoping that the metallic edge will wear off the coming few days. If not I am back on the gut trail again. (there is a set of tricolore waiting in my string tube....)

August 22, 2018, 1:52 AM · What about their tension/feel under the fingers? Responsiveness?
August 22, 2018, 4:04 AM · Is the E as whistle resistant as the Amber E (Thanks to advice on here, I did invest in Amber E and can confirm that it IS whistle resistant - It's LOVELY!)?
August 22, 2018, 9:34 AM · Mr. Rokos,

Should be as whistle resistant as the Amber E, using similar technology. Gauged as a "medium-heavy" tension E, I assume to match the set. Bo above has not tested it yet, I believe, but shouldn't be too different.

August 23, 2018, 11:43 PM · Anyone who tried it ever compare it to the Amber?
I’m currently playing a full set of Amber and its low tension works quite well on my instrument.
August 24, 2018, 9:13 AM · I did not try the E since my platinum E was brand new. But I am sure it will be quite similar to the Amber E in terms of whistle resistance. I have made my own spirals on other E strings and it really does the trick - even for an Oliv gold E!.
I had an Amber A on this violin just before the change to Timbre, but oliv rigid G and D. The Timbre are brighter and still have a metallic ring to them. They also seem very loud and there is a sort of "crispness" to the sound. That may be to some peoples liking, but I am not sold on the sound yet. I will keep them on over the weekend where we are rehearsing the Leningrad symphony. If that does not play them in to my liking they are going off again.
Edited: August 24, 2018, 9:49 AM · You can still order them from warchal.com for 49 euro plus 6 euro shipping.

I will probably order, but I hope I don't fall in love with these strings because I'm not going to pay 110 Euro which Warchal says will be the price after the promotional period.

I've been using the Amber E for a few years, and last year started using the Avantgarde A, and I love it. On my violin it is just fantastic -- big fat sweet sound, and very easy to play on. I never in a million years would have expected a steel string to sound like this.

I'm not thrilled with the Brilliant D and G on my fiddle. Very sensitive to humidity changes for a synthetic, just inconsistent. Maybe they should try a helical twist steel D and G string -- or maybe a wound string on a twisted steel core. Whatever they're doing with the Avantgarde A, I'd love to see them try on D and G.

August 24, 2018, 5:56 PM · Bo: very interesting feedback. I think my Amber string is similar in the first couple days too being metallic, but please keep me posted on how it goes after that. I ordered my Timber set but won’t put it on anytime soon as I just put on a new set of Amber.

Quick question though, how do you manually do the spiral? I got some spare Oliv gold which I love but whistles. :)

August 24, 2018, 7:17 PM · On the question of break-in time, the leaflet in the package says:

"Though we have tried to give a short string break-in time, we also need your help to enable the strings to reach their ultimate sound quality"

It then proceeds to describe a 10 minute bowing session (moderate dynamics, then full fortissimo with an ideal bow speed, angled relative to the bridge...etc). So the short break-in time is premised on a certain help from the part of the player. This is according to the leaflet.

On the question of being meant to be sold by luthiers, it states:

"The quality of our Timbre strings may be slightly affected when supplying them in a coiled shape. Warchal strings are available in their original and best quality from luthiers and repairers".

Which may be one reason why theyre meant to be sold by luthiers. But this suggests that the luthiers will not stock them in the usual coiled fashion?

August 24, 2018, 7:26 PM · Tammuz, luthiers generally use straight tubes to store single strings for customers who come in and just want, say, a single Dominant D string.

So the "usual" coiled fashion is only usual to us because it's how sets of of strings are generally packaged (since the manufacturer knows that the product will need to be shipped, and it's much cheaper to ship a 3"x3" square than to ship a 2-foot long tube).

August 24, 2018, 7:48 PM · I received my order today, and they're in a coiled package, not in a straight tube. I won't put them on yet, though, since I changed my strings early in the summer (Amber E / Avantgarde A / Brilliant Vintage D and G), and they're still going strong, with the usual Warchal longevity. (If I'd been using Evah Pirazzi Golds, they'd probably need changing now.)
August 25, 2018, 4:48 PM · Thanks for the info Erik.
I too am not going to put the Timbre on presently because the Amber strings have only got better with time and are doing fine.
It's a case of Mr Warchal doing Mr Warchal a disservice.
August 27, 2018, 7:24 PM · My set has just arrived, but I'm not going to try them straight away. They advertise a steel A string on their site but apparently it's not available yet. Does anybody know when it might be? I haven't received a reply from Warchal yet. I did use a Vision Titanium Solo A for a while this year, and enjoyed using it more than I expected, but my preference is for metal A strings.
Edited: August 27, 2018, 9:31 PM · Np, tammuz. I, too, love the Ambers. I only wish they were a bit more concerto-friendly.

I wonder if the timbre strings are like Ambers, but with a bit more stability and focus in the higher positions, and with slightly easier harmonic response? That would be perfect for me.

EDIT: Lydia, if it's going to be a while until you put them on, you may want to store the strings in a straight tube.

August 28, 2018, 2:56 AM · Hello Aditya,

I checked with my team from customerservice and we replied to you on 21 of August at 12:07 GMT+1 (European time). It may be in your spambox. :(

We try to contact all our customers back and we always read the notes in orders. However it happens from time to time that e-mails return back.
Regarding the metal A strings, they will be available later and we will surely send newsletters once they come out. :)

August 28, 2018, 11:42 AM · Hi Klaudia, I just checked my spam and found it there! Thank you for reaching out. I'm looking forward to trying the set, and I eagerly anticipate the launch of the metal A.
August 29, 2018, 11:53 AM · In addition to making excellent strings, I have always found Warchal to be very communicative when I contact them. They are obviously not only string makers but passionate musicians themselves.
September 2, 2018, 3:00 PM · Today I had enough of the Timbre trial. I have some chamber music gigs coming up and will not risk playing them with strings I am not comfortable with. I replaced the Timbre with my trusted Oliv/Passione solo combo. The metallic ring did not disappear, and I the violin sounded a bit harsh and lacking overtones. The strings have had their chance to prove themselves and being played in with among other things a whole weekends worth of rehearsals on Shostakovich Leningrad symphony. But they did not improve.
They are very powerful - almost too powerful. They remind me of my experiences with Evah Pirazzi many years back when they were introduced. You can get seduced by the power and stability of the strings, but the sound is not interesting. I haven't played Evah's for many years, so can't compare directly. The Timbre G is quite good, but the D and A are too harsh on my instrument.
So Bohdan - I am sorry to say that I do not agree that these are "the best you ever made". I your line-up I much prefer Amber.
September 2, 2018, 5:00 PM · ouch!!
September 2, 2018, 6:31 PM · Erik, what do you find non-concerto-friendly about the Ambers?

(I've only tried the E myself.)

September 2, 2018, 11:50 PM · I’ve got mine on for a day or two now. I replaced tonicas which are my “baseline” string.

The timbres sound pleasant. They feel less powerful than tonicas but also have a nice “under the fingers” feel. The E takes getting used to. I think they sound a little grainy but that could be the newness. They are indeed stable. I wouldn’t call them powerful. I think they are mellow and project welll. Time will tell, but so far they are a nice set. The quality is top notch.

Edited: September 3, 2018, 3:34 AM · Lydia, in my experience they tend to start fighting back a bit once you get above 7th position or so with a bit of "wolfiness", and the power and focus in the higher positions isn't what it was in the lower positions. So not ideal for repertoire that involves both being loud and focused while also in high positions on the G and D. That is just my personal experience, though. And regardless, they're among my favorite strings.

Edit: this post refers to the Ambers, not the Timbres, for anyone else reading this.

September 3, 2018, 3:50 AM · I am only describing my experience with the strings on my instrument over the past two weeks. I have had others listen from a distance - people who have heard me play before - and I have had others play the violin for me.
Timbre may work well on other instruments (an I will be trying them out on other instruments later on) or for people with diffent preferences. My opinion may just reflect a difference in our ideas of what the best violin sound is. Anyhow - this trial just makes me more confident that I should stay with what I found works well on my violin and not fiddle around with other strings. I shall stop testing new strings - until next time....
(and how about those Tricolores waiting in the string drawer)
September 3, 2018, 3:10 PM · I found the Timbre to be very powerful, much more than the Tonica I used to have on my violin, so opposite experience to Dmitri. The G is very warm and sweet. The whole set seems to introduce great amount of overtones, makes it so much easier to correct intonation.

I'd use them again if they decide to sell them online. I live in a tiny country and also the string shop I order from is far away from where I live

September 3, 2018, 10:26 PM · Daniel, it’s funny how string evaluation is so subjective, given our opposite experiences. But the instrument and personal taste are major factors.

This is my first experience with Warchals and I’m going to try a few other sets down the road. The quality is impressive.

September 6, 2018, 2:58 AM · I have not had much luck with Warchal strings. I have tried Amber, Karneol, and Brilliant. They all had a metallic ring that lasted for at least a month on my violin whereas I have had no such issue with Cantiga, Kaplan Vivo, or Vision solo. The only Warchal string that I still use is the Amber E. It looks like I won't be trying Timbre any time soon.
September 7, 2018, 11:40 AM · Playing them since Sunday. By far the best strings I have ever played. Very warm, but having enough Italian grain and texture. Excellent set balance, enough power. However, it took four days to show their entire beauty despite the info in a leaflet. So far I have tried them on two violins, I will continue trying. I hope I will not destroy them by putting them on and off.
September 7, 2018, 6:48 PM · My amber set does take a while to stretch and it takes some time (close to 10-20 hrs of playing) to really lose the metallic sound and hear its core gutlike value.

Got my timbre set, and will see if it really outshines the amber.

September 8, 2018, 4:44 PM · The new Timbre strings sound intriguing, but will not try them as I will NOT buy them at full price, which after tax is nearing $190 CDN. That is getting on the very high side for violin strings. I would at the introductory trial price, but that is a one time only deal unfortuntely :-(.
September 8, 2018, 7:10 PM · Who knows what retail will be vs MSRP. So far they are improving with time for me.
Edited: September 10, 2018, 6:54 AM · I am so far liking the Timbre strings, after using them for about a week. They have rounded out in tone since I installed them, though lie towards the brighter end of the spectrum. They have a nice "grain" to the sound, with vibrant overtones, which I've noticed in several Warchal strings. The E is a real joy to play, and the synthetic A is one of the few I actually like – it's not too thick in diameter, responds quickly, and transitions well between the D and E string. I could do with a bit more volume in the higher positions of the middle strings, but the outer strings have tremendous clarity going into the stratospheres, and considerable power.
September 10, 2018, 7:26 AM · It's extremely difficult to buy Warchal strings in Canada. Shipping + duty for mail order will easily push the price beyond MSRP.
September 10, 2018, 9:01 AM · Kevin, are there no retailers in Canada that stock them? I've been getting mine here in the U.S. from Southwest Strings to avoid the shipping cost.
September 10, 2018, 10:06 AM · Hi,

Im in Canada and I got Warchal strings (not Timbre of course) from this site (I am not promoting nor do I have any benefit in citing the website here so I hope it's OK in order to help):

https://www.violins.ca/strings/violin_strings_warchal.html

Edited: September 10, 2018, 10:35 AM · long-mcquade, the largest music retailer across all major cities in Canada carries online over 300 strings sets and individual strings combined, but only 1 Warshal string set and that is for cello, no Warshal violin strings. I don't know about smaller violin shops though. Ordering from Warshal means a 1.5x exchange rate + tax + duties + shipping :-(

Edit: Tammuz's suggestion, is one option however. I will also check with my luthier.

September 10, 2018, 2:45 PM · I have ordered Warchal strings from violins.ca as well. They were excellent to deal with and I found shipping reasonable. Just mentioning for no other reason because as stated above these don’t seem to be a common place brand of string in most of Canada.
Edited: September 10, 2018, 7:03 PM ·

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings