3-Minute modern showpiece

August 10, 2018, 6:09 PM · Hey there!

My name is Lasse, 15y old and I am searching for a 3-minutes showpiece currently. The reason I am searching is a competition next year. I am playing the first mazurka of Ysayes 2 Mazurkas (Op. 10) and the 4th Leclaire Violin Sonata (Op. 2). I need a modern and fast piece.

(Octaves, tierces, most of double stops, artificial harmonics, ... are no problem ;) )

Maybe you have an idea :)

Thank you for reading my thread!

Replies (12)

Edited: August 10, 2018, 9:09 PM · Wow the 3-minute limit is ... limiting. I can't think of a thing. Bicker Rhapsody, Corigliano Stomp, those are 5-6 min. Maybe one of the Piazzolla Tango Etudes or Stanley Weiner Caprices.
August 10, 2018, 11:30 PM · How modern is modern? If Bartok qualifies how about a 3 min segment from the Rumanian Folk Dances? Number 4,5 and 6 together are just about 3 minutes.
August 10, 2018, 11:36 PM · Banjo and fiddle? Maybe not so challenging for you.
August 11, 2018, 7:22 AM · Welcome Lasse Becker!!

Maybe you could choose just one or two of the Bartok Roumanian Dances.

August 11, 2018, 8:17 AM · @Albrecht Zumbrunn Modern means Classical Modern+.
The Piazolla Etudes are a great idea and the Rumanian folk dances are also a very good suggestion.

Thank you!

August 11, 2018, 8:59 AM · What about a Brahm's Hungarian Dance?
August 11, 2018, 9:42 AM · @Timothy Jayne

The problem is, arrangements are not allowed in this competition...

August 11, 2018, 12:35 PM · THE HOT CANARY BY FLORIAN ZABACH!!! it's only 2 and a half minutes and is amazing :)
August 11, 2018, 12:37 PM · See if any of the 27 Pieces composed for Hilary Hahn are in that time bracket, and then search for the composer to see if they've published the work.
August 11, 2018, 5:25 PM · @Elliot Kempton

This one is a very good suggestion! I love that piece Thank you a lot!

@Christin Gill
The Hilary Hahn Encores are a good idea too.

Edited: August 11, 2018, 11:36 PM · Aleksey Igudesman wrote and recorded a solo violin album of his own works, called Fasten Seat Belts, most of those pieces are 3-4 mins.

The album is published by Universal Edition (UE36700) and you can find the recording easily too.

August 11, 2018, 10:31 PM · The Heifetz arrangement of the March from the Love for Three Oranges by Prokofieff is lively and fun.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay