Peter Infield PI Strings

August 10, 2018, 4:56 AM · Hi everyone,
So currently on my violin, I use obligatos on every string; however recently when my A string broke I decided to change to an infield red A string, and I couldn't believe how easy it was to play! (my violin has always been very hard work to play- It has a lovely dark sound, however, it feels very....thick and resistanty to play? anyway I put on the Infield red and I loved the feel, suddenly I could perform fast passages and make shifts that previously I would have found very difficult...However, I found the sound was not as good as the obligato A I had used before, it was not as warm or dark :(

I then looked online and saw Peter Infield strings, and I was wondering if they have a darker, warmer sound than the Infield Red strings?

Sorry if this has gone on a bit, but could anyone tell me how the Peter Infield strings compare to Infield Red, and also If there is a string that has the dark, warm sound of obligatos but the playability of Infield Reds?

Thanks
Elliot

Replies (9)

August 10, 2018, 7:27 AM · PI are nice and have a great response and tone color, not quite like Obligato though. Obligato can feel a little like rubber bands, but I love the way they sound too. Jargar Superior are a nice choice too, lots of tone color options, maybe not real dark, but colorful for sure.
Edited: August 10, 2018, 9:39 AM · I have not found the PI set to be particularly remarkable, but that platinum-plated PI E string - WOW that is something else. It can totally transform the other strings - especially the G. So far I have found it remarkable with PI, Vision Solo, and Evah Pirazzi sets -- and even Pirastro Flexocor-Permanent.
August 10, 2018, 10:33 AM · Andrew, please could you specify a little bit on this? Since I seem to be in an eternal e struggle now and then...
Edited: August 10, 2018, 1:16 PM · Peter Infeld Platinum-Plated E. It's 32 dollars for an E string.

It better be "something else". It costs three times as an Evah E string which I already consider to be expensive.

I hope it comes with a VERY good life span.

August 10, 2018, 3:15 PM · I've had the PI-Pt-E on 4 violins through 3 sets of A/D/G. Still great.

My next E string change (should that ever occur [I'm 84 this year]) may well be other brand Pt or Au E strings that I already have waiting. But I also have another PI-Pt-E waiting too, just in case those don't work as well.

Edited: August 10, 2018, 3:25 PM · I've used only Peter Infeld D-G so far on one of my three fiddles. No experience with A. I'd had previous experience with Infeld Red A-D-G, and had always liked them. Later I replaced the Peter Infeld G with Infeld Red G. The Infeld Red was darker and less edgy on this fiddle and suited my purpose better. Current setup:

E - Goldbrokat Medium
A - Vision Solo
D - Peter Infeld
G - Infeld Red

FWIW, the D has a good ring on this instrument, while wound-gut D's like Eudoxa stiff had less power. The other fiddles have their own different string combos. As I've said many times, different instruments will deliver varying results with the same string.

How long ago did you install the PI A? About these Thomastik strings: It can take a several days for the metallic-sounding edge to wear off.

August 12, 2018, 3:33 AM · I find PI "nice and smooth" compared with Thomastik's other offerings.

Obligatos "like rubber bands"? Or do they just need a more subtle bowing technique? ;-)

August 12, 2018, 7:58 AM · I have never tried PI strings but after reading Mr. Victor's long term praise for their platinum E string I did try one and have been using them since although I do question their cost and whether it is worth paying all of the extra dollars for. Usually I like to change the E once a month but at $30 or so dollars a pop I go for three months and it certainly has lost its brilliance by then.
August 12, 2018, 8:20 AM · The one time the PI-Pt-E was not suitable was on one of my violins earlier this year when I was finally enticed to try the "Heifetz" string set of Tricolore gut A & D and wrapped G strings. The PI E was so overpowering compared to the gut strings that I had to put on the Goldbrokat E that had come with the gut set. But under the ear the violin had nowhere near the power I love it for, so it was back to the PI-Pt-E and EP-Golds that I had removed.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings