Viola Bridge

August 3, 2018, 9:19 PM · Hi,

I have a 16.5 inch viola, and I would like to change my bridge. I found 46mm, 48mm and 50mm space.

How to choose viola bridge?

Replies (6)

August 4, 2018, 1:08 AM · I measure the minimum distance between the f-holes..or the original bridge!
Too narrow can sound loud but honky.
Also, too little wood above the cut-outs can sound nasal.

Then there is the relation with the soundpost...

Find a real luthier?

August 4, 2018, 4:45 AM · Infortunately, I have only to buy online, no violin luthier in my country!
So I need a help to choose the right one :-)
August 4, 2018, 6:43 AM · I think even if you find the "right size", it will be tricky to someone like you or me to fit the bridge to the top plate and adjust it to the correct string height etc. etc.

Why do you need a new bridge? Is the old one damaged?

August 4, 2018, 7:42 AM · I tried a local luthier to lower my bridge, but he cutted it too much lower. So I need a higher one now to correct that.
August 4, 2018, 8:16 AM · The width of the bridge at the feet should be no more than the smallest distance between the f-holes. The smallest distance is usually between the f-hole eyes closest to the neck.

The main reason for this is to reduce the chance of a plate crack developing along the f-holes, especially at the post position.

Edited: August 4, 2018, 10:46 AM · The width of the bridge must be related to the position of the bassbar, the width between the eyes of F holes is only an approximate reference (not wider than, it is a good rule but with violas it may be too inaccurate).
Usually the bassbar should be about 1.5 mm inside the outer edge of the bridge foot.
The shaping of the feet is another crucial aspect, if it is not perfect the sound is affected and you risk damaging the surface of the soft wood of the top with those sharp edges....

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings