Started to practice piano and my tempo with violin has improved

August 2, 2018, 7:23 AM · I have an upright piano in the living room and started to practice some pieces with one hand (the rythm with the second hand is hard) and that helped me to control better my tempo playing violin, I created a post long ago saying that I cant control my tempo, some guys sayed me that I need to use tempo but I dont know to use it, and playing piano now I can controll better my tempo, I recorded my self and the notes sounds ordered and better

I wanted to share this in case of someone also have these problems, a greeting

Replies (3)

August 2, 2018, 7:56 AM · It's hard to decipher what you're you're trying to say, my friend.
August 2, 2018, 10:04 AM · Maybe your skills on the piano are more thoroughly automated on the piano, enabling you to focus on rhythm.

The real question is whether you are using a metronome in daily violin practice. If not, then how do you know you are controlling your tempo? Even as a professional with decades of experience, I know that I can ASSUME I'm being steady, but the metronome will tell me otherwise. It's very difficult to be objective about our own playing.

You can't assume anything about your rhythm unless you use a metronome, have someone listen to you, or record yourself.

August 2, 2018, 12:17 PM · You said you don't know how to use tempo. I think you meant metronome.

Here is what you can do. Turn on the metronome. Set it for very loud. Adjust the tempo to 60 beats per minute (bpm).

Use the instructions that came with the metronome if you do not know how to adjust the volume or tempo.

Play a scale so that you are playing one note every beat. Try that for a couple of minutes. Now play the same scale so that you are playing two notes every beat. Then three, then four, etc. When you can do four notes per beat with a two-octave G-major scale, comfortably and in tune, then you can adjust the tempo to 64.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings