Rehair help (!)

Edited: July 30, 2018, 11:59 AM · I'm still a relative beginner in the art of rehairing. I've got an incredible 4 rehairs under my belt (Impressive, right?).
In fact, I still don't even have a bow jig. I just clamp it to the table (with a cloth!) And get my dad to hold the hair for me whilst I comb it. But it's definitely on my to-do list.
Anyways. I get a lot of trouble with the twisty action in the hair—no matter how careful I am, It's always tangled somewhere. It usually straightens out as the tangly hairs get pulled out (along with some hairs fron my head), but I'd like it if my rehairs were "good enough" from the start and not 3 hours down the line.

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/UahDcDb
It may be hard to see, but the hair is nice and even at both ends and narrower in the middle. I know twisting is inevitable due to the process itself (tying a flat band into a tight bundle), but the pros always smooth it out somehow.
**SECONDARY QUESTION**
Do you wet the hair when you work on a bow? I think it could cause problems later because the hair expands when wet, but I've seen a lot of luthiers soak the hair beforehand.

Replies (1)

July 30, 2018, 12:30 PM · Rehairing at a high level is close to an art, and could not be taught adequately even with multiple pages of text. Maybe some others will be willing to offer some quick tips on keeping hair from overlapping or twisting (and I could too), but the end result would be that you'd just ask the next basic question, followed by hundreds more.

Go to someone or someplace good, and get some quality hands-on training, like at the Oberlin/VSA bow restoration workshop.

We get people here too who want to learn how to play the violin well, without a hands-on teacher. Most of these will be destined to failure, on one level or another.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings