Sevcik op. 8 #57 Scale Studies

July 30, 2018, 10:24 AM · I like all of Sevcik quite a bit and op. 8 in particular for shifting exercises. But the preparatory scale studies (#57) are a problem for me. The studies for C major are written out and I find them very helpful, but the other keys are not written out and I just have a hard time working them out for all the studies. Is there a trick a technique other than brute force working each one out? Is a written out version available somewhere?

Michael

Replies (2)

Edited: July 30, 2018, 1:38 PM · Instead, Try Sevcik, Op. 1, book 3, # 1--8. In general, everyone needs multiple fingerings for their scales. In real music, the optimum fingering depends on the musical context, on bowing, rhythm,and personal anatomy of the hands. Examples; I rarely use that 4-4-4 round-trip at the top of the scale that you see in so many scale books. I try to avoid using that Flesch-recomended scale pattern that starts on the second finger, because it puts a half-step on a string change. Experiment with your fingerings. some suggestions; 1-2-1-2-1-2 etc. until you get near the top, then finish it with whatever fingers are left over. Or shift on the half-steps, either 1-2 or 1-2-3. For very fast scales try 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. Try playing half-steps with the same finger when playing high on the string.
Edited: July 30, 2018, 3:42 PM · Michael,
I gave a lot of thought to fingerings for all scales major and minor when I wrote the jazz improvisation exercise book, "Arpeggios, Rhythms, and Scales" because ease and 're-useability' are important when improvising. You don't have time to think,'Oh, these 2 bars are G minor, shift here'. All 24 scales have fingerings, and in most cases 2 choices. As a bonus for you, all the 7th arpeggios are written with multiple fingering choices. There are many other exercises for improvisers, but those 2 areas would help you. Its at:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mike-laird/arpeggios-rhythms-and-scales/paperback/product-11176289.html

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings