Schradieck #1 checklist?

July 29, 2018, 3:14 PM · Does anyone have a copy or know where to find the checklist of all finger patterns/keys/strings for playing Schradieck #1? I know I had one years ago but I cannot find it. My son plays this daily but he is rather haphazard about choosing the string/key/pattern and it would help to have the systematic list. Thank you!

Replies (6)

July 29, 2018, 4:16 PM · The normal pattern is just the one printed on the page. It's basically a finger dexterity, strength, and precision exercise. There's no need for varying it, really; that's not the point.
July 29, 2018, 4:56 PM · Obviously everyone has their one methods when it comes to this stuff, but for me the most important patterns are

0-1-high2-3-4
0-1-low2-3-4
0-low1-low2-3-4
0-1-low2-high3-4
0-1-high2-3-ext 4

but you can do any combo you want, I suppose. The finger action should be smooth and light but firm.

Change strings on a daily basis. Take GREAT care to observe that both elbows are in optimal position. I know one teacher who has his students eventually go up in position. I've never tried that but it seems like a good idea. I should give it a go some day.

If you're ready play the entire two pages sautille once a week. This should also be done on different strings.

Always remember - the first two pages are not just a warm up (although they are great for that). What you're doing is establishing the fluid motion you will be using throughout the entire book as you gradually advance through the positions. Don't let the difficult extensions throw you off. If you can't extend quite high enough initially don't worry - eventually you will be able to.

July 29, 2018, 6:19 PM · Read the top of the page from No. 1 carefully. It's not just about putting your fingers down. It's about lifting them off too. I wish I had learned the importance of that much earlier in life.
July 30, 2018, 8:30 AM · My son has done this book over the past four years (he's gone through the whole book) and has been doing #1 daily for about the past year as a strengthening exercise. After doing it the written way for six months (with lots of care about position, evenness, lifting, etc. from his teacher) he moved on to varying it. He's continuing to do it daily because he's starting to go through puberty and growing very rapidly and it helps ground his ever-growing LH position.

He's gotten to the point where he is having a random number generator pick 1 or 2 (1= half step; 2=whole step) to come up with a pattern so I think a list would be ideal. I had one either from a teacher or magazine but it was years ago and I can't find it.

Edited: July 30, 2018, 4:10 PM · I forgot two:

half position (all half steps)
0-1-high2-high3-ext4 (all whole steps)

You don't need a list IMO. Even if you just use the low2/high2 versions it's still a fantastic exercise.

Just change things up to suit yourself. I owe a great deal of my violin life to those books.

July 30, 2018, 5:30 PM · Wow, Susan, the rest of that book is not so easy. Gets harder fast.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings