I'm better than I sound.

Edited: July 29, 2018, 11:11 AM · What would you reply to the friendly question "I'm told you play the violin?" (At least you own one!) :)

Replies (16)

July 29, 2018, 11:31 AM · My reply would be, "Yes, I'm an amateur violinist! If you want to hear me play, come and see the Highlands Brazilian Jazz Trio on Saturday, August 04, from 6 to 9 PM in the lounge at Mountain Lake Lodge."
July 29, 2018, 2:37 PM · "Just for fun"
July 29, 2018, 3:21 PM · I'm better than I sound. But.....
July 29, 2018, 3:46 PM · I would say, "Well Yeah! But my best days are behind me, 30 to 65 years ago!"
July 29, 2018, 4:10 PM · “Yeah, but I just recently started again after stopping as a teenager and no playing since 10 years. But I practice better now than I used to, and I think a year from now on it will actually be enjoyable to listen to (for anyone who’s not a violinist themselves)”

:D

July 29, 2018, 5:30 PM · I say "well I'm only in 4th year teaching myself to play, confident that in just a few more years I will make a little music."
July 29, 2018, 5:47 PM · "Yeah, I'm a total beginner! But you should see my open string bowing! It's AMAZING!" (LOL!)
July 29, 2018, 6:44 PM · I'm about as good as I sound. I look about as good as I look too.

I'm a realist.

July 29, 2018, 6:55 PM · Anybdy can play on the strings!

Gee, I did not see one "teacher"excuse. Wow, he never took lessons! (A handy story)

July 29, 2018, 7:40 PM · I’d say it is an accurate statement, although “play” is open to interpretation!
July 29, 2018, 7:48 PM · Andrew V

Violins and violinists get better with time. Everybody knnows that!!

July 29, 2018, 7:50 PM ·
Edited: July 30, 2018, 3:36 AM · "I'm better than I sound." Ah, good to hear a reuse of the old line by Bernard Shaw, dramatist and music critic. When he said of Wagner, "His music is better than it sounds," he nailed that self-important innovator/master/composer/philosopher/conductor/designer/impressario/all-round-genius of German opera. The question is which opera composer (or violinist) is not as good as he sounds?
July 30, 2018, 9:05 AM · "Well.... there are no feral cats remaining in my neighborhood"
Edited: July 30, 2018, 7:28 PM · I could have been a contender.

@John - believe it or not, I've heard that said many times about Puccini (especially in reference to the Twain quote).

"His music sounds a lot better than it is!" lol

August 2, 2018, 6:09 PM · "Yes I do, but if you're nice to me I won't."

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins