Protecting the bow lapping

Edited: July 26, 2018, 3:41 PM · Yadda, yadda, yadda, my sweat burns holes in my bedsheets.

I do my own bow wrapping. Or, I did, since I've done it once to date. There's a nice black outline around the place my finger rests on the wire that's basically impossible to polish out, even with a brush. The wire is some fairly pure silver alloy that keeps the lustre of silver but doesn't tarnish in air on its own.
On lower-end bows, you see shrink-wrap around the lapping to keep the plating from wearing off of the copper wire they use, but I can't find any of those online. Someone suggested I use an acrylic clear coat, but that could easily turn out ugly and be a huge pain in the rear to get rid of later. Whale bone and silk are too light and look pretty meh imo. Suggestions?

Replies (3)

July 26, 2018, 5:37 PM · Have you tried cleaning it with a non abrasive silver polishing cloth?
Edited: July 26, 2018, 5:50 PM · The shrink wrapping isn't to keep the plating from wearing off, it is to keep the wrap from coming undone. The Chinese bows come from a fairly humid place and the stick shrinks in the new, drier environment and the wrap comes loose. They used to unravel all of the time, but less so now that the wrap is wrapped.

Seems to me that the silver wrap is doing it's job-protecting the stick from your caustic sweat.

August 3, 2018, 7:24 AM · When you take it in for a rehair, they should be able to clean and polish it up. Depending on how dirty it is and the condition of the winding, I clean with alcohol and a little 0000 steel wool if necessary.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings