How tight to hold the bow?

Edited: July 20, 2018, 10:11 AM · A Utube pedagog suggests this:with your normal bow
hold, point the tip to the sky. Relax the bow hold to the point where it drops. The target hold is just before it drops. Comments?

Replies (8)

July 20, 2018, 11:05 AM · Excellent.
But the first few times put a cushion on the table so the bow slides down onto it..
July 20, 2018, 11:29 AM · That caution was included. Seems a very light hand to me, but, loud and obnoxious is my specialty.
July 20, 2018, 12:03 PM · My violin teacher tells me to hold the bow that way as well, "hold it as lightly as possible, your hand is simply guiding the bow. It isn't going to drop because it will be resting on the violin."
July 20, 2018, 1:58 PM · "It is absolutely vital to hold it (the bow) as lightly as possible - rather as one might pick up a newborn bird."

As Yehudi Menuhin said it.

July 21, 2018, 5:15 AM ·
There is no perfect pressure because the thumb and fingers are always adjusting for weight into the bow. The goal is to release the thumb pressure and have this control of the thumb when adding weight or removing weight into the bow. Most beginners are not able to release the thumb because the right-hand thumb is also not releasing; the thumbs or hands need to learn independence.

July 21, 2018, 9:40 AM · Paul Stein
The Incredible Lightness of Being a Bow

https://www.violinist.com/blog/stein4strings/20184/25775/

July 22, 2018, 6:21 AM · "point the tip to the sky"

How could I do anything different?

July 23, 2018, 6:56 AM · Sorry, my words, not the pedagog's.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings