different editions of the devil's trill sonata

July 17, 2018, 12:11 PM · mainly out of curiosity I decided to look up the sheet music for tartini's devil's trill sonata. I went on imslp and found a lot of different editions. some looked very doable (the edition by becker) and others looked like virtuoso romantic era concertos (hubay).
which edition holds more true to the original, and if you've played the piece, which edition did you use?

Replies (7)

Edited: July 17, 2018, 1:55 PM · IMSLP has the first printed edition (late 18th century) available for downloading. It is quite legible, with very few dynamics, and no bowings or fingerings etc, just the necessary speed indications, so it is probably as close to the autograph as we can expect.

Note that it is printed with two staves (like a piano score), the upper one being the violin part, and the bass line being the continuo.

The IMSLP reference is,
IMSLP361282-PMLP346890-Tartini_vn_son_g_Devis_Trill.pdf

I haven't played this piece, but my first approach would probably be via this score.

July 17, 2018, 5:15 PM · I believe most people play the Kreisler version of this work, which is in one of the volumes of the Kreisler Collection published by Carl Fischer.
July 18, 2018, 12:39 AM · There is also a Bärenreiter Urtext edition by Agnese Pavanello.
July 18, 2018, 10:12 AM · I have the Barenreiter edition. I wouldn't trust Kreisler's edition tbh, unless you are consciously aiming for a sort of 1920s interpretation of an 18th-century piece ;)
July 18, 2018, 3:20 PM · Both approaches are good. No need to choose a winner, though I would learn the "bad" edition first myself were I in a similar situation, as even in today's world of the "sacrosanct" urtext, the Kreisler is the better known and "expected" version.

It's good to have the urtext, though.

July 19, 2018, 7:04 AM · Manze recorded a very effective unaccompanied version; it would be interesting to compare that to the urtext to see what changes (if any) he made to the violin part.
July 19, 2018, 7:40 AM · Later editions are often "arranged", though.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings