Pitch Pipe Revived (?)

July 15, 2018, 5:17 PM ·

Replies (9)

July 16, 2018, 5:21 AM · I'll bite. I prefer a fork and can't recall seeing anyone use pipes to tune to in a long time.
July 16, 2018, 6:12 AM · I prefer either an App or an oboe (depending on what is easier available in the situation) to tune the A, and the CGDE to the A.
Edited: July 16, 2018, 6:14 AM · The only pitch pipes I've ever seen were on ebay... But at least they did not have a fake label.
July 16, 2018, 6:21 AM · I routinely use one that sits in the case of my practice violin. It is really handy actually!
July 16, 2018, 10:02 AM · Darlene, what's this about? Have you discovered or written some new repertoire for the pitch pipe? ;-)
July 16, 2018, 12:12 PM · You could use it as a drone when you're playing Scottish or Irish tunes. After all, the Highland pipes habitually use drones.
July 17, 2018, 3:10 AM · Pitch pipe revived by...
July 18, 2018, 11:54 AM · Did it ever die? I have a few of them but lean mostly on my electronic tuner, other instruments reference and my ears.

Many seem to go the way of the herd. If the herd uses electronic tuners, they use electronic tuners.The one main advantage being you can tune with them in a loud environment. The disadvantage being you need to pony up for a battery every now and then. Old school doesn't have that issue.

August 2, 2018, 12:13 PM · What sounds more like a violin than a pitch pipe ? A pitch pipe. Tuning fork "A"s are misleading. Give me the richness that best matches the violin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings