What do you think about the jujube wood fitting set?

Edited: July 13, 2018, 8:16 AM · Most of the Chinese violin is a jujube wood fitting set. What do you think about this?
How does it affect the sound of the violin?
Compared to commonly used boxwood, rosewood, and ebony, what about it?

Replies (6)

July 13, 2018, 8:23 AM · The real McCoy, that grows in Italy, is very hard and good, and it was used by some classic Italian makers. It is very different from the stuff that we see in some cheap violins.

Wood varies a lot in quality too.

Edited: July 13, 2018, 1:49 PM · My Ming Jiang Zhu viola came with Jujube fittings. I don't know if the wood is "real" but they actually look pretty good. They have some faux-ivory trim on them, however, which is a bit fragile.

But then I took the pegs out and put in gear pegs so the only thing left is the button. Had I chosen PegHeds I probably could have saved the look of the original peg, but I chose Wittner FineTune Pegs.

The button had this little decorative 2-mm ball of faux ivory on it, so that whenever I rested my viola on my knee, that little ball would cause pain. So I filed it off.

I was not aware that the jujube is native to Italy. I thought this was a southeast Asian tree, a type of date (the tree gives small fruit). I guess if you can insist on Carpathian maple for the body of your violin, you can insist on Italian jujube.

July 13, 2018, 2:00 PM · Did you get a better sound after changing the fitting settings than before?
July 14, 2018, 7:57 AM · The sound was unchanged. But it was much easier to keep my viola in tune, and without straining my hands. With gear pegs you do not ever open your case to discover one of your pegs has slipped.
Edited: July 14, 2018, 8:42 AM · My two violas, made by Marcos Schmitz, use jujube fittings.
In my opinion, these fittings are cheaper, much more beautiful than ebony, chinrest is ligher and brings no allergic reaction, like rosewood.
The only negative point: jujube is weaker than ebony, so has a shorter life in professional use.
Since I`m amauter, there is no concern.
July 15, 2018, 10:24 AM · I just replaced a jujube chinrest with a Castel boxwood one (South American species). I am going to eventually change out the tailpiece if if shows signs of strain/wear.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases