Shops in NYC???

July 11, 2018, 2:22 AM · Hi,

I'll be travelling to NYC soon on a buisness trip... I have time to look around the Manhattan area, I'll be there for a few days. Do you guys know any shops worth looking at?

Andrew

Replies (5)

July 11, 2018, 3:14 AM · Just came back from New York!

I found that all the staff in every store were super nice and accommodating, and they did not exert the "pressure" for me to buy a violin.

- David Segal Violins
- Rare Violins of New York ( I found that they don't have many good instruments in the $5000-10,000 range, so it's best to go up from there. The 15,000-20,000 range were mostly modern instruments (made in 2015 etc)
- Christophe Landon Fine Instruments (Landon has a wide variety of nice instruments, I tried his $75,000 violin he made himself and it is stunning. He is a great connection to have, as he sponsors the loaned violin for the winners of the Menuhin competition, and many Menuhin competition laureates use his violins. Very nice man too.)
-Tarisio Auctions (Despite the fact that they are not auctioning any instruments at the moment, Tarisio allows musicians to come in and try out some instruments. The staff there are so accommodating, and I was fortunate enough to try out a Guadganini and a Storioni. Absolutely mindblowing instruments!
-Reed Yeboah Fine Violins (I didn't get time to go here, but I know for a fact that Ray Chen comes here when he is in New York for violin checkups/repairs. I emailed the staff, and despite the fact I didn't come to their store, the staff who replied was super kind and told me to visit them next time I'm in New York.

Tell me if you want further details. You can find their addresses on google.

K

July 11, 2018, 6:33 AM · Add Salchow Bows to Kaori's list.
July 11, 2018, 8:27 PM · Kaori, can you tell me more about RVNY?
July 11, 2018, 9:52 PM · Hi Andrew,
Rare Violins of New York were very accommodating, and I asked for violins in the under $10,000 range. They told me that they didn't think that for my level it was worth it for me to try out ones under $10,000, so I tried out ones in the $10,000-$25,000 range.
I was initially presented with 3 violins, all around $12,000 and I didn't like any of them. After, he presented me with more violins, now in the $15,000 range, and I didn't like them either. Note that all these instruments were predominantly modern instruments, the oldest one being from the 1970s.

Then, I was presented with 2 violins which I liked, one by an American maker, made in 2016, and other Italian violin by Anna Tartari made in 2015. Both of these were $22,000.
I was very tempted to buy the Tartari, but this was definitely out of my price range that I can pay at the moment. (I'm 16 years old, and the most I could pay would be $15,000 out of my current savings. As these prices are in USD, it's more expensive as my savings are in Australian dollars.)
The Tartari, had such a beautiful core to the sound and resonated very well. Although it was "hard to play on" after an hour of playing it, I realised that despite its difficulty, I would improve immensely from it.
The staff there were all very nice and did not pressure me into purchasing one of their instruments. Would highly recommend. I'm not sure what your price range is, but I heard from one of the staff that they have violins there that are going for over 10 million.
I feel like RVNY have good instruments from the $20,000+ range and you should start searching from there.

K

July 11, 2018, 10:55 PM · Reed Yeboah carries a wide range of fine instruments, both modern and antique, and they're well known for restorations. Worth visiting. Julie Reed-Yeboah does superb adjustments, too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings