How it affects to my playing if I have very bow hair

July 10, 2018, 2:27 PM · My bow hair has become thinner. How it affects to my violin playing? I found it's hard to bow straight, but I don't know is that 'cause I have too very hair?

Replies (5)

July 10, 2018, 3:17 PM · Most players get their bows rehaired at least once a year. I do too, even though I'm kind of skeptical about whether it's necessary. But in your case, you should do it.
July 10, 2018, 8:49 PM · Andrew Victor is regular in this forum and has studied deeply and scientifically the effects of hair (ammount and thickness) in the playing and sound. IIRC, there is a relation between the wood flexibility and the optimal ammount of hair one should have in the bow.

His study has disappeared from the web. I hope he would repost it somewhere. Until then, I would wait for him to chime in and listen to what he has to say.

July 11, 2018, 2:46 AM · A bow will play and feel differently if too many hairs have broken and are missing, and if much of the missing hair is on one side, it can eventually warp the bow. Most players will have their bows rehaired long before this point.
July 11, 2018, 7:24 AM · Carlos has said all I can on this matter without knowing more about the exact condition of the bow or the player's skill. My website left the internet about 6 years ago after I ended my business and let a different "Victor Technology" have my URL.

Bowing "not straight" or "crooked" of "slanted" is likely due to one of two actions:
1. The player has not angled the violin well for his physique (i.e., for the length of the right arm.
OR
2. The player is not flexing his right wrist properly to avoid bowing in a "circle" instead of straight.

I don't think a sparsely haired bow would be a major factor.

July 11, 2018, 12:31 PM · I my opinion when you start skating on thinning bow hair you probably compensate adversely with your bowing and need a re-hair. You will be glad you did.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases