Artificial Harmonics - Hejre Kati

July 9, 2018, 12:12 PM · Greetings all,

My brain has farted out musically lately. I could use some help with the artificial harmonics in Hejre Kati on the 4th page. The first harmonic is in 3rd position with the first finger on the A, and the 4th finger on the D (a perfect 4th higher)--correct? It continues as such all the way? What threw me is that the harmonics partially through this section are written with the fingered note and the harmonic, but not the beginning of the section where only the diamond is shown. It's been a while as you can tell.
Someone make it easier for me?!

Replies (5)

July 9, 2018, 12:40 PM · Typically, only a diamond means “just place your finger on what’s supposed to be this note and play harmonic.”

For instance, if you see 2 over a diamond (usually the fingering will say 2 0) on the note “E5”, that means play a harmonic on the E with a second finger.

July 9, 2018, 6:29 PM · Like Cassio says, those diamond-headed notes without a black note head on the same stem are natural harmonics. That whole first section of harmonics, after the high harmonic on the E string, is played in third position. The A is first finger on the E string, then the F# is 3 on the D string, then back to the A on the E string, etc. The pattern moves down to the first finger D on the A string, 3rd-finger B on the D string, etc. It's pretty straightforward.
July 10, 2018, 8:56 AM · I doubt most people know the piece you're talking about, so maybe you should post a link. I'd only add that composers and editors aren't always consistent about their method for notating harmonics.
July 10, 2018, 9:26 AM · I find the subject of harmonics very interesting. It's odd that I would read this since I've been studying harmonics in more detail recently.Mainly looking at adding in harmonics artificially after the fact.Even harmonics .vs odd harmonics.

I'm going to investigate this further as it pertains to violin. Being a more recent player I'm not very familiar with harmonics played on a violin.

July 10, 2018, 11:00 AM · Hejre Kati by Jeno Hubay (1858-1937) can be found on IMSLP.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings