A guy told me that La campanella was composed by Liszt

Edited: July 4, 2018, 6:04 AM · I just only said him that he only made a version but he answered me no

I don't know what to do at this type of situation

Edit:

All this comes from a video from Yundi Li, the video was called Yundi Li: La campanella, I said him that the title of the video is disrespectful because the name of the composer must be first, because people can believe that La campanella was composed by Yundi Li

Then the guy said me that the name of the composer was in the description of the video, I read the description and it says ( Yundi Li plays Liszt: La campanella )

I said him that the description is wrong, the description must be "Paganini: La campanella (Liszt)" and then is when I said that La campanella was composed by Liszt

This is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJcXAuOMNU

Replies (27)

July 3, 2018, 7:02 PM · Just be polite. We've all made mistakes.

I come across this kind of thing quite frequently. If one attempt to correct misinformation doesn't pan out I usually just let it go. Someone else can deal with it.

Edited: July 3, 2018, 7:10 PM · No, La Campanella was first composed in 1826 by Paganini as a Rondo for the last movement of his second violin concerto. In 1838 Liszt wrote an etude based on the theme and revised it in 1851, also called La Campanella. In my second year at Senior School the entirely self-taught Dicky Juniper played the Liszt for the House Music competition, but he had his foot on the accelerator so only came second to oboist Anthony Camden (I came 3rd with the slow movement of the Purcell G minor, followed by the second movement of the Handel E major - They didn't really belong together, but that's what I wanted to play, I should have transposed one of the movements to make them fit together better - not that it would have made any difference to the ranking). I only became aware of the Paganini in recent years.
July 3, 2018, 9:23 PM · I know the feeling. The other day a guy told me that volcanoes produce more carbon dioxide than human activity. All you can do is shrug and walk away.
July 3, 2018, 10:42 PM · I know the feeling too. I met a guy who refused to believe that daylight savings time causes global warming. It's the extra hour of sunlight, obviously. Some people?
July 3, 2018, 11:30 PM · Hmmm it's probably true that one volcano produces more CO2 than one person.
July 4, 2018, 12:49 AM · neck his ass
July 4, 2018, 5:56 AM · Edit
July 4, 2018, 6:19 AM · Erik --> Snopes?
July 4, 2018, 7:08 AM · It is the third movement of Paganini's concerto N.2 in b minor, but this movement is more known by others.

By the way, this concerto is lesser known in other countries, only the third movement and the title "La Campanella" are widely known. Concerto N.2 is widely known in both Italy and Russia, many students play it. However, in other countries, Paganini's concerto N.1 is more popular.

It is a trend for composers to adapt and re-arrange works of each other. For example, Paganini's Introduzione e variazioni sul tema 'Nel cor più non mi sento' is adapted from Giovanni Paisiello's 'La Molinara', I Palpiti is adapted from Rossini's Tancredi / 'Di tanti palpiti'.

July 4, 2018, 9:14 AM · Liszt butchered many pieces, not only La Campanella.

A funny story about my "teacher" Berl Senofsky at one of my first lessons at Peabody:
He had added octaves to some line or other in a Paganini caprice (maybe 17?), saying "because that's what Liszt did."

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said "I didn't know Liszt played the violin." Boy he got mad...
Just one of many very strange interactions I had with him.

Edited: July 4, 2018, 10:32 AM · “Mark wrote: daylight savings time causes global warming... It’s the extra hour of sunlight” .... and as you most certainly know that’s because the earth is flat contrary to everyone’s belief. Yep, some people just won’t admit the obvious.
Edited: July 4, 2018, 10:39 AM · There are other musical mistakes that have had longer legs than I think they should they should, for examples:

Beethoven's piano transcription of his Violin Concerto.
Schoenberg's transcription of Brahms' marvelous Piano Quartet in G minor.

July 4, 2018, 11:31 AM · Or Liszt's transcription of anything?
Edited: July 5, 2018, 6:53 PM · Beethoven's Pft Conc No 6 (the violin concerto's piano version, which I believe was commissioned, so perhaps B. cannot be entirely blamed) is rarely performed, and recorded performances are few and far between. I wonder why. The answer is to find a recording, listen to it and you'll know. Don't blame the performers, who are only doing their professional job!
July 4, 2018, 7:01 PM · I've never heard the piano transcription of the violin concerto and, to be honest, I have no desire to.

Maybe the 1st movement could be adapted somehow (ugh), but the 2nd movement is the sustained song of an angel. Completely inappropriate for piano.

And the 3rd movement is a genial portrait of a country fiddler. Again - how could a transcription work in any satisfactory way?

Edited: July 4, 2018, 11:35 PM · Paul, I think that’s true regarding volcanos, I’ve read it in several publications. Also, water vapor is several times as powerful a greenhouse gas as CO2. So, we should really stop boiling food for our own safety.....
July 5, 2018, 12:03 AM · I've heard both things I've commented on (and heard and played the originals) which is why I did.
Edited: July 5, 2018, 5:06 AM · Well... the best version I've heard is this one by Kissin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0U73NRSIkw

And you can show it to that guy, since the pianist says very clearly at the beginning:

"Paganini, Liszt... La Campanella"

Nothing more to add.

July 5, 2018, 5:46 AM · According to my non-musician neighbour, since I am still working on etudes I am clearly not ready for any "real music". I just nodded politely and went to practise my concerto.
July 5, 2018, 1:21 PM · Don't you love it when non-musicians "helpfully" offer their most valuable insights?
Edited: July 5, 2018, 5:35 PM · Jason, a good summary of the volcano myth appeared a while back in Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/06/06/how-much-co2-does-a-single-volcano-emit/

Good discussion of the role of water vapor can be found here:

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/climatescience/climatesciencenarratives/its-water-vapor-not-the-co2.html

If you are concerned about anthropogenic water vapor (which you needn't be, as it's condensable) then remember that hydrocarbon combustion produces water vapor too. Especially natural gas:

CH4 + 2 O2 = CO2 + 2 H2O

July 5, 2018, 8:41 PM · Beethoven wrote a cadenza for the piano version. It’s worth listening to.
July 5, 2018, 9:08 PM · Nothing wrong with transcriptions. I personally don't consider myself "too good" for them. Love them, actually-one can love and appreciate high art without taking it-or oneself-too seriously.

That said, yes, Liszt did compose La Campanella-the piano version, that is (the piano version is well-known.) So he did with a few caprices. He composed them-just not the original. Not worth debating with someone who just wants to "win" regardless the facts-ignore and enjoy your day doing something more fruitful or fun.

Liszt piano transcriptions are great fun and sometimes musically moving. Give them a chance, all of you that don't know them well and have no bias one way or the other.

Edited: July 6, 2018, 2:00 AM · Remember that Liszt also transcribed the Beethoven symphonies for piano. Hopefully no-one would contend that, for instance, the 5th symphony is 'by Liszt'.
I enjoy some (not all) of the Liszt transcriptions of Schubert songs. There used to be Horowitz recordings of some of them on Youtube - pure magic!
At the other end of the musical spectrum there's Horowitz's OTT transcription of 'The Stars and Stripes'.
And there's Stokowski's Bach..... And Kempff's Bach.
I once tried to make a transcription myself (not of Bach - I wouldn't dare!).
Bach himself was not averse to transcribing his own and other people's music - eg various Vivaldi,the version of the Praeludium for organ and orchestra, the 4th Brandenburg concerto for keyboard and 2 flutes (which I sometimes prefer to the original).....
Kreisler made some transcriptions as well as writing original works.
So I tend to agree with Adalberto. I think transcription is a respectable musical activity and I try to judge each one on its own merits - does it 'work', does it add something to the original, is it fun/entertaining/moving/convincing etc.
July 8, 2018, 1:21 AM · Indeed, Paul. That’s one important reason why if you start your car you should let it get up to normal temperature to evaporate any condensate and prevent premature exhaust system rust.

Good links, though, I will read up. In the meantime, allow me to promote thorium reactors as the solution to both our energy and environmental problems:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium_fuel_cycle

A small reactor buried on every block would be great.

Edited: July 8, 2018, 5:42 PM · Ravel's astonishing orchestral transcription of Mussorgsky's piano suite "Pictures at an Exhibition". We performed it a couple of weeks ago; exciting music but certainly not easy. I found the best way to get to grips with the complexities of Ravel's score was to listen to Mussorgsky's original piano version a few times first.
Edited: July 9, 2018, 8:26 AM · I don't think The Grand Gate of Kiev succeeds in Ravel's orchestral version - Repeating the notes of the tune with increasing frequency only means something if done on a percussive instrument like the piano - It means nothing done with an orchestra, and if Mussorgsky had written it for orchestra, I'm sure he would not have done it that way.
Liszt had a particular fascination with Paganini. It was P's playing that challenged and inspired Liszt to develop the virtuosity he did - Indeed, I think I remember reading in Sitwell that his ambition was to be a sort of second Paganini. Liszt transcribed a lot of music for piano, and his purpose in so doing was to make that music accessible to his contemporaries. With music by contemporary composers the motive was to give their music a hearing and they had reason to thank him for so doing (I believe he shared his performance fees with them too when he did it). In the case of Paganini, to hear his music you had to hear him personally, and after his death much of his music was inaccessible in its original form for quite a number of years (for instance, was Joachim up to performing Paganini)? So Liszt did P's reputation no harm by making piano versions of his own.
Stokowsky made quite a lot of orchestral transcriptions.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases