Where to Find Barber Violin Concerto Orchestral Parts?

July 3, 2018, 11:54 AM · Hey Guys,
I was wondering where to find the orchestral parts for the Barber Concerto, because I could only find the score online. Would i have to call someone to find them? I'm not really aware of the process, so any comments would be great!

Achuth

Replies (6)

July 3, 2018, 12:11 PM · It is only available as a rental, and is handled by G Schirmer.
July 3, 2018, 1:19 PM · Thank You! Would you know approximately how much it would cost to rent the music for about a month?
July 3, 2018, 4:05 PM · And that is assuming you are in the US. No idea on cost--but should I say up front you should be serious, because it will be expensive. Standard rental period is generally 6-8 weeks. Anything longer costs more.
July 3, 2018, 4:13 PM · Do rental companies still charge by the size of the orchestra's budget?

I only ask because years ago I was talking to the conductor of a reasonably sized regional orchestra and he was lamenting the fact that they couldn't fit that silly Corigliano overture into their budget (no great loss). I don't remember the rental fee exactly but it was outrageous for such a piece.

So I was quite surprised when I agreed to hep out a much smaller orchestra about a year later and the overture was on the program. I inquired about the rental and was told that since their budget is only a fraction of the larger orchestra's the fee was also much smaller.

July 4, 2018, 8:03 AM · Hmmm. I played Khachaturian with a university orchestra and the rental was $500. This is the first I’ve heard about rentals being adjusted to budget size...I will ask our librarian about it.
July 4, 2018, 8:55 AM · Ryan--most of them do. At least the big ones

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings