Pirastro Perpetual violin strings - good strings/durability?

June 30, 2018, 12:57 AM · Perpetual is Pirastro´s newest string. Before it was just for cello. The string gauge is only in medium: (kp) 7.9, 5.7, 4.9, 4.8 vs (Evah Pirazzi) 7.8, 5.6, 4.8, 4.9 . So it’s on the hard side.
On my violin: The tone is strong, clear. Fast response. Easy to play pp and ff (the strings won´t stop you). But is lacking a "soul". The PI strings are a little bit darker, more “round/noble”. The set is even. Prefect set! I love the platinum e-string. A non-whistler. I wouldn´t try the "hard" version on my violin. That one for PI is far too strong, it will coke my violin. There is also a Pirazzi platinum e-string. “Same” string. I think that string and PI strings are a good combination.
Bad durability
The durability was not good (at least this time): The A-string (normal) lasted only around 26 days (max 80h). The winding got badly damaged in the lower positions. Then hard to shift. I had to change the string. This has never happened to me before with for example PI. And for the first time ever I broke an e-string, the Perpetual. I have tried many e-strings in my life!
Another option would be to try the Perpetual steel string and go “Russian style”.
I can´t recommend Perpetual because of the price and the longevity of this set. Hopefully G and D will last longer. Then I change only A and E. However - PI is a better deal. And has a “soul” (in my violin).

Replies (15)

Edited: June 30, 2018, 6:18 AM · For "round/noble" go gut, not Pi (I know I won't convince you, however). That said, despite the high tension (which many if not most players are accustomed to, even if it's not my preference), this new Perpetual core seems to feel softer under the hands at the same tension than "EP Standard", by what others have stated.

I am sure the steel A will likely last longer, but maybe the A string you had lasted normally and you had higher expectations due to the rather non-intuitive brand name?

Some players sweat in such a manner that many windings won't last as long.

Note I am not defending the set-I have not tried them and they do not intrigue me so far-but they appear to be a good option for "EP core" lovers-another take on "high powered" synthetics.

Many years ago Pirastro replaced an A O had which windings failed too quickly-an Obligato, which supposedly last "longer" than others. Sometimes windings just fail/are delicate (be wary of over "cleaning" rosin after practice/performing as well.)

(I like that Perpetual/EP Platinum E-though only at 7.9 kp-and the lower tension combined with better price would indeed make it a "better" match for the Pi set. The Pi Platinum E seems to me a heavy tension string, and I think they offer no other gauge option.)

June 30, 2018, 6:19 AM · ..and fingernails..
June 30, 2018, 6:23 AM · If you've got a string life of less than a month, and you don't normally wear out strings quickly, I'd suggest emailing Pirastro. You might have gotten a defective set or the like.
June 30, 2018, 6:27 AM · Max, thanks for the review!

I am not a fan of high-tension strings and none of my violins sound good under the pressure. Add local piano tuner's preference to tune up to 445 or 447Hz and the tension is even higher if you happen to play with a piano combo!

I wonder when the string producers will stop this tension increase craziness....

Edited: June 30, 2018, 10:01 AM · Adalberto,
yes, Perpetual feels a little bit softer under the fingers than EP medium. Go "gut" ... Well, when I was young I started with Eduoxa. Good compromise is Passione (regular) strings. I used G,D , steel A, E. Quite easy to tune. Very fast. And the tone was strong and "full". Nice!
I usually change between Dominant (medium/soft) and PI. I will for sure try gut again, at least on G and D. What about Tricolore?

June 30, 2018, 4:11 PM · I have a set of tricolore for my violin and for viola that I plan to test after the summer. Meanwhile I recommend Oliv stiff G with silver D, passione solo A and Evah pirazzi platinum E. The weakest one in that combo is the A. Currently trying a Aricore-Eudoxa A instead of the passione. Jury is still out.....
July 1, 2018, 6:00 AM · 447Hz for A is a bit extreme.
Edited: July 17, 2018, 8:17 AM · I put on a new Perpetual A string ( no 2). After around 2 weeks: time to change again. Now to my 2 month old A-PI. Still going strong! 2 A every month is too expensive! I have only this problem with Perpetual!
July 17, 2018, 9:12 AM · They do not appear to be very "perpetual" :-)

Anyone else have long-term feedback on these strings? I'm hearing good things about the playing characteristics, but mixed things about longevity and durability.

Edited: July 17, 2018, 10:29 AM · I think 2 weeks is a bit of an exaggeration, unless you played 8 hours+ on them daily. "New string sound" does generally wear off faster than two weeks. But I am not discounting your experience-likely we have different thresholds for when a string should be changed.

I am sure they sound great and powerful, but I did notice the more "Perpetual" string on the set, the chrome steel wound A, costs $30.00+... previous more expensive steel A "record" that I know of was $20.00+ by Larsen. Not saying it's bad (and I bet it's near "immortal" longevity-wise, as chrome resists perspiration well), but having the most expensive any-string is never something to be that proud of in my view-especially a steel string being more expensive than the regular synthetic perpetual A. Given that the Warchal specialized steel As exist for less $, they are relying on their reputation to sell it. To be fair, it may be a good steel A but the cost is strange and out of tune with the current-and older-market.

(Why are some of their niche offerings so pricey? They make them remain niche forever, as in EP Gold's Gold wound G, and now the perpetual steel A. The market will be less for them anyway-maybe their "reason".)

July 17, 2018, 10:56 AM · Perpetual means you have to keep replacing them perpetually.
July 17, 2018, 12:00 PM · 100+ hours and no complaints or issue.
July 17, 2018, 12:24 PM · Max, are the synthetic A strings coming apart, or are you replacing them because you feel that the sound has deteriorated?
Edited: July 17, 2018, 2:52 PM · As a side note, recently ordered another of these Pirastro Platinum Es-Perpetual's standard set E-in Evah Pirazzi flavor, as I think they are genuinely good (vs placebo good.) The price is just slightly above the Oliv/Obligato gold-plated E, *seems* to not be whistle prone in comparison, and to me appear a tonal blend of the Oliv E and the Eudoxa wound E without the cons (possible whistling for the former, adds brilliance to the instrument vs dulling it for the latter-wound Es also tend to sound less brilliant at the topmost register.) Its open E is much easier to adapt to different fingerings, because it's not intrusive, and while still sounding "like steel", the tonal balance is not bad at all from synthetic A to E. It's like a more brilliant gold-plated E, with more body and warmth at the same time, and also helping the lower strings stand out better with more brilliance (in my experience.)

Its con vs a Goldbrokat *may* be that the latter, while not as warm, has this rich, clear top end frequencies that are hard to match and also give the impression of better brightness/penetrating tone to the whole instrument. Both are clear, but the balance is more throughout the frequency response, while the Goldbrokat emphasizes the top, but is still rich enough so it doesn't sound too brittle like some modern plain steel Es can often sound. So the Platinum has lots of brilliance top to bottom, but the emphasis in the high end appears to be "better" on the goldbrokat (I am talking about Platinum E 7.9 vs Goldbrokat 7.8, not stark gauges.)

Talk about subjectivity and personal opinion! Feel free to try and use whatever works for you.

July 17, 2018, 2:45 PM · Goldbrokat 27 E > Perpetual E > Goldbrokat 26 E

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia