Need A Good Third Position Piece for Exploring New Technique

June 19, 2018, 1:43 PM · Can someone recommend a good piece that introduces third position (and stays in it a lot) for my student?

Thanks,
Daniel

Replies (8)

June 19, 2018, 5:02 PM · Have you worked on book 2 of Wohlfahrt's 60 etudes? There's also the violin & piano transcription of Fiocco's Pièces de clavecin, any number of baroque concerti, Reiding's concerto in Hungarian style, etc. I guess it depends on what your student's already played. The Vivaldi A minor has some 3rd position work, as does the Bach Double (which includes bonus 2nd position). The Wohlfahrt etudes are really good, though. Maybe not exactly melodic, but still musical.

I'm sure someone who actually teaches will have better suggestions.

June 19, 2018, 5:58 PM · There are a lot of simpler studies that suddenly become more challenging when you try to play them entirely in a single position. For example Kreutzer No. 2 can be played entirely in second position or third position with only a couple of "stretch" notes. Some of the Mazas studies have longer phrases/passages in third position as I recall.
Edited: June 20, 2018, 6:21 AM · What level is your student?

I think the piece my first teacher used to get me some extensive 3rd position training was the Huber Concertino #2 in G, a fabulous and unjustly neglected student piece. I still use it quite often.

But you can add 3rd position to almost anything, and the level of pieces not requiring much above 3rd can get pretty high. Seitz G minor only has one short 5th position and one 4th position passage. All the rest is 3rd position or lower unless I'm forgetting something.

June 20, 2018, 7:41 AM · If you search the Huber Concertino on IMSLP and navigate to the page, scrolling down will provide an enormous list of student oriented pieces by position. Have fun choosing!
Edited: June 20, 2018, 12:33 PM · you want technique in 3rd position? Sevcik Op.1 numbers 12 to 20 ;-) joking aside, Matt's tip is very interesting, thanks Matt!
Edited: June 21, 2018, 6:50 AM · Thank you! Up until now I have used the Whistler Introducing the Positions book for years, but I'm looking for other ideas.
June 21, 2018, 2:56 PM · Hans Sitt Op 32 Bk II...Etudes in the 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th position. About 4 in each position. Bk I is strictly 1st position and Bk III is changing position. On IMSPL.
Edited: June 21, 2018, 3:03 PM · Also there is De Bériot pieces and duets in his method book, you can find it on imslp. They're position specific

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings