Viola string identification

June 14, 2018, 3:22 PM · I bought this viola from a luthier in Nothern Germany. Unfortunately, I have some trouble identifying the strings on it, and the luthier does not know, either:

http://abload.de/img/img_20180613_181732454ms1m.jpg
http://abload.de/img/img_20180613_182914086qsnq.jpg

The C string is pretty obviously a Dominant, but for the other ones, I have no idea. Do you know the brand, and what do you think about them? If possible, I would maybe like to replace the Dominant C string with the brand of the others, as they have more tension.

Replies (10)

June 14, 2018, 7:34 PM · https://www.thesoundpost.com/en/info/string-charts
June 14, 2018, 8:48 PM · That is indeed a Dominant C, but as for the rest, I don't believe they're made by one of the famous manufacturers, i.e. that's not a Thomastik, Pirastro, D'Addario, Corelli, Jargar, Larsen, Warchal, etc. string.

Maybe you can ask the dealer who sold it to you?

June 15, 2018, 2:31 AM · I did check the color chart, but without success, and neither the dealer nor my teacher has any idea. That's why I was hoping someone over here might know.
Edited: June 15, 2018, 12:40 PM · Could be very old or made in China. So why are you so attached to them?
Replace them with Cantiga C,G, D plus Larsen A and "Bob is your uncle", as we say here!
June 15, 2018, 12:25 PM · If it is hard to discover who made it I would also say Chinese.
June 16, 2018, 7:27 AM · Rocky, is that an endorsement of the Cantiga for viola? I’ve been pondering getting some of those, but haven’t pulled the trigger as of yet. Not a whole lot of reviews on the viola Cantigas that I have found.
Edited: June 16, 2018, 11:23 AM · Craig, yes, I am quite happy with C,G and D. A broke overnight after just a few weeks of moderate usage... At the ball end. Within that price range, they are possibly the best bet. Keep in mind that medium is in fact heavy... So if your viola has a long vibrating string, go for light gauge. Mine is 360mm and sounds good with medium gauge.
June 16, 2018, 10:37 PM · Thanks!
Edited: June 17, 2018, 6:22 AM · I am not "attached" to the strings, but I am quite happy with them. With the Dominant C string, however, I have some problems, as I do not really have enough grip with the bow to play as marcato as I like. Changing the rosin helped a bit, but I think that I would like a string with a little more "power".

The upper strings are probably steel, right?

June 18, 2018, 5:22 AM · Have a look at the ball end of the strings to see if the core is steel.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings