Do you prefer violinist #1 or violinist #2?

Edited: June 7, 2018, 12:25 AM · Which playing style do you prefer?
Violinist #1 or violinist #2?
Listen to two sound samples on soundcloud played by each of them.

Violinist 1 - sound sample 1

Violinist 1 - sound sample 2

Violinist 2 - sound sample 1

Violinist 2 - sound sample 2

:-)

Replies (20)

June 7, 2018, 12:03 AM · Sort of hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison here, but I'd go with #2. Just seems a lot more refined and deliberate in the phrasing.
June 7, 2018, 3:55 AM · Why do you ask?
June 7, 2018, 7:46 AM · I think they could be the same violinist in different days and moods.
Their vibrato can be quite the same..........

Anyway, listening to these particular samples, i like more the ones with "violinist #1" as a label.
He/she plays more alive and dynamical. I perceive more "soul" inside.

June 7, 2018, 8:49 AM · Seems remarkably like a marketing pitch to me!
Edited: June 7, 2018, 10:21 PM · Not really. It is a serious question. Would you want a more perfect technique or would you want feelings, that's the difference between these two I think. I have a personal favorite, of course - Annette

Out of curiousity: can you hear if the players are male or female?

June 8, 2018, 5:49 AM · I like the vibrato of violinist 1 more but phrasing of violinist 2 more.
Edited: June 9, 2018, 11:17 AM · #1's rubato in sample 1 is offputting. I prefer #2.

Edit: they both sound male to me.

June 8, 2018, 9:24 AM · The first impression i get is that violinist#1 is a male and violinist#2 is a female.
Edited: June 9, 2018, 2:44 AM · It is invidious to compare, especially as one does not know the purpose of the question, and there may be a huge wager riding on the response coming from v.com!
Edited: June 9, 2018, 3:04 AM · Thank you for your competent answers :) I can understand that the advanced players write and discuss here. On facebook, there have been more votes for #1.

No marketing or other purpose here. You want to know why I am asking. The answer is personal, and easy: I really disliked some sound samples of #1. I prefer the playing of #2, but I would like to have #1 for personal reason.

But then, #1 plays this one quite nicely: Glazunov Raymonda

#2 is a young player. I like his inspired way of playing and he is playing with musical taste and lots of feelings. Player #1 is a very rountined, excellent older orchestra player. I have never heard someone getting so much sound out of an instrument. They are both players of major orchestras.

- Annette

June 9, 2018, 1:08 AM · Hello John,
Player #1 has been playing operas, balletts, etc. with many opera stars and singers for 20 years.

Edited: June 9, 2018, 2:46 AM · Ah. I almost deleted the post as it seems invidious to make public comparisons like this. Since you have read it, and that is the main point, I think I will shorten it, because the players may be reading and are are potentially identifiable. FWIW, my reason for my preference stands, though my diagnosis of the cause was wrong.

You say "I have never heard someone getting so much sound out of an instrument." That is probably a compliment, although somewhere recently I read the phrase attributed to Elman, "The violin is not a trumpet."

June 9, 2018, 2:59 AM · ;-)
Edited: June 9, 2018, 6:51 AM · I preferred'1' for the simple reason that when listening I heard only the music while with 2 I was more aware of the player. I don't know why this is.......
June 9, 2018, 12:57 PM · No 2 has better control (both technically and musically) to my ear. No 1's rubato in the tchaikovsky was incredibly offputting. Otherwise, no 1 had beautiful moments but the incorrect rhythms were too distracting, and while no 2 was not the most exciting I appreciated the attention she paid to the score.
Edited: June 9, 2018, 1:34 PM · I have a general rule that if you notice that a player's vibrato is either "interesting" or odd, the player has a defective vibrato. This is because vibrato should only be a coloring of the sound. I immediately noticed player #1's vibrato as being forced. This is a problem that can easily be fixed. I know that because I had the same problem which you can hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NMM0dw3M54 .My teacher George Neikrug heard this and showed me a simple exercise which cured it.
Edited: June 10, 2018, 5:48 PM · I liked Violinist #1, sound sample #2. The first sample sounded a bit too forced, too mechanical, while the second sample was much more powerful. The first sound sample from the second violinist sounded too muted to me. The second sample from the second violinist wouldn't load, so I don't know about that one. Perhaps I technically shouldn't comment before I try it again.
I read through a few of the comments before stopping at the OP's. I didn't want to read those and then become a bit biased listening to the recordings.
I couldn't tell their genders from their playing. I've heard a lot of male violinists that play emotionally, and a lot of female violinists that are mechanical, men that play softer, and women that are so much more strong and powerful, and vice versa, and then eveything in between. I'm not one to think that absolutely everything including a musician's style of playing revolves around something superficial such as gender.
June 10, 2018, 4:27 PM · Didn't care for the vibrato and rubato of #1.
June 10, 2018, 8:49 PM · So who are these players?
June 10, 2018, 11:59 PM · Hi Lydia, I'd rather not publish their names. They are players of two major orchestras in Germany and in Russia

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings