New book about French violinist Devy Erlih

June 4, 2018, 4:01 AM · Hi everyone,

A short post to announce the publication of my new book about French violinist Devy Erlih (1928-2012). The book is written in French.

Erlih was a child prodigy, playing gypsy music with his father's orchestra in Parisian cafés in the 1930s. The German occupation forced the Erlih family to hide and Devy was saved thanks to his teacher at the Paris Conservatoire, Professor Jules Boucherit. Just after the war, he toured throughout Europe and the US.
After winning the Long-Thibaud 1st Grand Prize in 1955, his career took a new turn. Erlih became interested in new music at a very young age, giving premieres of works by Milhaud, Jolivet, Scelsi, Maderna, ...
An enthusiast pedagogue, he taught at the Marseille and Paris Conservatoires and at the Ecole Normale Alfred Cortot.

The book features interviews with former students Philippe Graffin and Svetlin Roussev and former teaching assistant Alexis Galperine.

Jessica Duchen wrote a nice portrait of Erlih, together with Graffin, in the November 2008 issue of "The Strad".

If you live in Europe, you can get the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.fr/Erlih-portrait-violoniste-pionnier-1928-2012/dp/2956433806/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528108864&sr=1-1&keywords=Devy+Erlih
Outside of Europe, the book is available from the publisher at editionsdurobec@icloud.com

Replies (2)

June 4, 2018, 4:38 AM · Thanks for the information. Your post prompted me to find out more about him, and I found the documentary on Youtube (also in French), and am just now enjoying his Bach very much.
June 4, 2018, 7:23 AM · I have yet to digitalise my splendid LP of Erlich playing the Bartok Solo Sonata and André Jolivet's Eglogues

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings