Minimum 'emergency practice'?

June 3, 2018, 6:55 PM · So my partner has recently started tracking my progress on the calendar using stickers. It's quite cute and feels surprisingly validating to get a sticker as part of my belated 100 day challenge.

A couple days ago she asked me what I would consider a 'minimum' amount of practice to be worth a sticker. I then sat down and defined what I would consider my emergency practice, and am curious what other people do/would add if you had only a limited amount of time to practice but were committed to forcing it in.

Mine is:
-4 2 octave scales, F, G, A, B to ensure I practice shifting up to 5th position (whole bow, then 2 in a bow)
-The arpeggios to go with the scales
-Vibrato practice
-1 3 octave scale + it's arpeggio
-Some work on at least one phrase of something I'm working on.

Replies (5)

June 3, 2018, 7:22 PM · If my viola gets out of the case and I play it at all, I count it as practice for the purpose of the 100 days challenge.

But I care much more about making some kind of progress than about just winning an Instagram challenge. So if I have just five minutes, I want to make it count. If I'm doing that minimal five minute practice, I skip scales and spend it all on either one etude or slow practice of one spot in repertoire.

June 3, 2018, 7:51 PM · Your emergency practice, Michael, would be a regular practice for me.

In an emergency practice, with limited time, I would be "eating leftovers". Brushing directly some particular roughnesses of the things I had practiced the previous day..

June 3, 2018, 8:53 PM · Andrew, hilarious! For me the spirit of the 100 day challenge is what I'm chasing. I just finished a degree that for the last three years has done serious damage to my spare time. I would often be in a situation where I would have to choose sleep, practice, or homework. So to me this is just about forcing myself to practice for 100 days in a row - rebuilding the habit, you could say.

I agree, if I had only 5 minutes it would be spent on what immediately needed attention - that nasty run in the next orchestral piece, or a bow change/string crossing that has been exceptionally difficult.

Carlos,

This takes about 20-25 minutes in total, I rush through it and don't waste any time except when there are errors that require me to stop and step back a bit. Somethings I've found that help to save time is to chain each key into just one movement. I set me metronome on 2 clicks at 60bpm and will do whole bows, then on finishing start right back up the scale with a faster speed, then when getting back to the start doing the arpeggio. Sometimes there are hiccups that require it to be broken up, but because this is 'emergency' practice I only stop if it's a large error. I check my notes on the open strings when possible, and if I mess it up twice I play it with a drone (no time to keep starting over and over, it's a rush remember!).

When I have time to do regular practice, each one of those elements would have a block dedicated to it. But of course we do not live in a perfect world :)

Edited: June 4, 2018, 4:37 AM · For almost the entire time that I've played, I've been in either demanding non-music degree programs or busy non-music jobs. There's a day or two most weeks where I practice less than 10 minutes because that's all the time I can spare. There have been times in my life I've averaged under 15 minutes a day for a month, but still squeezed in something on 25 or more days of then month.
June 4, 2018, 7:31 AM · Slow-to-fast basics: a selection of my own 2-minutes per page drills on cales, trills, shifts, chords, vibrato etc.
Some drills expand small movements; others hone down wide ones.

Then repertoire fragments treated as studies.

Etudes? Only with 3 hours ahead of me with nothing better to do..

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings