Antique Violin Replica

May 26, 2018, 8:42 PM · I love going to antique stores and have always wanted to pick up a violin from one. Now I wanted to pick up something that needed some work so I can start learning how to do repairs and such.

I was at a store and saw one I really liked, it was a great price (extremely low), had some age, and had some character. It also looked like it needed some repairs, now I have spent a lot of time looking into this and did all my research on which hide glues to use, how to crack one open, etc.

It wasn't till I got home that I really started to look inside the violin and saw the tag. Now I know it is a reproduction but I was hoping I could find some info on what the actual age might be and maybe where it came from. As well as if I should bring this one to a luthier instead of trying to learn how to do repairs myself.

I also realize that I may end up doing a poor job and I could potentially ruin the violin. But I do a lot of research and have done other various jobs as well as made other wood items. I am very handy so a project like this isn't something that would scare me off.

IMG_20180525_203609

IMG_20180525_203603

IMG_20180525_203556

IMG_20180525_203525

IMG_20180525_203519

IMG_20180525_203517

IMG_20180525_203513

IMG_20180525_203414

IMG_20180525_203354

IMG_20180525_203347

Replies (5)

May 26, 2018, 9:20 PM · seems like a good one to practice on, very little value as is
May 27, 2018, 12:54 PM · Thank you for your reply. Really excited to start this project in a couple weeks.
May 27, 2018, 5:20 PM · Doing violin repairs takes practice, and if you want to try, go ahead.
May 29, 2018, 7:56 PM · I'm surprised you would try it without guidance from an experienced luthier. I don't know much about fixing violins nor anything about your skills and knowledge, I just know that personally I might ask a luthier if he would guide me, no doubt for a fee or possibly instead as part of compensation for apprenticing and taking on other tasks for him in exchange for some of his time guiding you in this project. Just a thought....
May 30, 2018, 12:17 PM · Well as the fiddle as is is worth very little why not practise on it?
Looks like lowest quality MKN or similar with painted fingerboard, no purfling. ? missing pegs.
Hard to say from the pictures but it looks like the varnish was stripped off and the fiddle
revarnished. If that was with polyurethane - as it looks like in some of the pictures - the violin is only good for firewood.
A luthier may not find it worth her or his time to work on this violin.
So why not go for it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings