Do Pirastro chorda violin strings project?

May 26, 2018, 6:30 PM · Can Pirastro chorda violin strings project loud enough over an orchestra?

Replies (7)

Edited: May 27, 2018, 1:19 AM · Rosand (here: https://www.thestrad.com/aaron-rosand-on-finding-the-perfect-set-of-strings/263.article) talks about strings and says he used an uncovered gut A and that Heifetz also used uncovered gut D.

One teacher told me that uncovered gut strings project better in the hall though they may sound quieter under the ear, and that this was also true of the famous Del Gesu violin Rosand used for most of his career. The same teacher regards Chorda as the best uncovered gut.

Plenty of people were recording, not close-miked, with uncovered gut as late as the 1960s. Identify a few (including Mr. Heifetz himself) and go to Youtube and ask yourself whether you can hear the soloist.

Edited: May 27, 2018, 4:10 AM · Pirastro Chorda are thinnner diametre and not very loud as a result, I recommend Damien Dlugolecki for gut strings, they are much louder and better than Chorda (larger diametre), there are other brands but I haven't tried them.
May 27, 2018, 10:46 AM · It is true the standard Chorda are somewhat thin. The teacher who particularly recommended Pirastro to me was using Pirastro customized or 'individuelle'. They are made for historical instruments, and fine for modern instruments. They are very long so when you cut them you have enough for two strings out of one packet. Of course you have to tie your own knot for the tailpiece.
Edited: May 27, 2018, 10:56 AM · Damien Dlugolecki supplies double length A and E strings standard.
Edited: May 27, 2018, 5:33 PM · Hi,

For historical projects, I agree with Lyndon. I have used Dlugolecki strings and they are excellent. Depending on the time period, bear in mind that some of the gauges were very large (like late romantic).

I have used the Chorda for 18th century music, and they are fine. I don't know how they would sound in a later music setting.

If you are looking for a first-half of the 20th century style gut setup, then Gamut strings make the Tricolore strings that were once used by Heifetz. I haven't tried them, but by all accounts, they are excellent.

As for projection, it depends as much on your instrument, how it reacts to the strings and tensions of various brands and/or gauges, as well as the bow you are using and how you play.

Cheers!

May 29, 2018, 10:23 AM · Any opinions on Dlugolecki vs Tricolor? One better than the other? Both good but very different? I'm thinking of trying uncovered gut in the fall--I've been happy with Eudoxas and Olivs this past year (especially the former), so I'm eager to compare them to the real old-school strings.
May 29, 2018, 10:24 AM · Tricolor are going to be a lighter gauge, not quite as loud and projecting I would assume.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings