G. Rudi Steinel violin bow

May 25, 2018, 8:51 PM · Anyone knows about this bow or the maker?

Replies (5)

May 25, 2018, 10:12 PM · Do you want a new bow, or are you just curious?
May 26, 2018, 12:00 AM · I expect you've looked up the auction history on Tarisio and very brief biography on Amati:
STEINEL, Gustav Rudolf Born 1924 Breitenfeld Germany. Bow maker. Son and successor of Gustav Adolf, above. Apprenticed to A. C. Schuster in Markneukirchen.
I've had one for 40 years but I don't like (or use) it much. The head had to be splined which was a good functional repair although it makes the bow almost worthless.
May 26, 2018, 12:02 PM · Thanks, Steve! I did search online intensively but somehow not much information was available about G. R. Steinel. Can you tell me why you didn't like the bow and what happen before it had to be splined?
May 27, 2018, 12:25 AM · I bought the bow from a player in the Philharmonia orchestra (£200 in about 1980) so it did have some pedigree. I must have used it for 10 or 15 years before the head broke. Can't remember how - maybe I hit a music stand? My local luthier said he could repair it with a spline but his first attempt soon broke again. Second time was successful - a nice piece of work which is almost invisible - and it's been fine ever since. However the same luthier had some other bows he suggested I try and one of them (at about twice the price) is still my favourite.

This isn't strictly relevant to the topic but the splining issue came up in a recent discussion on Maestronet and I was surprised to hear that it's considered such a big deal from the point of view of the bow's value. It's accepted that the repair can be successful and not significantly affect the playing qualities, but the "snap" when the head goes is also the sound of money evaporating.

May 27, 2018, 10:57 AM · Thank you again, Steve!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings