Any ideas or experience with Mr Robert Lipsett in Colburn please?

May 21, 2018, 4:36 AM · One friend is considering go to Colburn study with Mr Robert Lipsett , of course a lot of his good things by google searching, but he wants to make sure he is the right teacher for him before go ahead, he tried to find his masterclass on the YouTube, but couldn’t find any.

Anyone have ideas and experience about Mr Lipsett?

Replies (6)

May 21, 2018, 12:42 PM · The best thing your friend could do is to try and arrange a trial lesson with Mr. Lipsett.
May 21, 2018, 1:41 PM · I agree, a trial lesson is best.

Has your friend been accepted at Colburn?

May 21, 2018, 9:07 PM · Not yet. He wants to know little bit more about Mr Lipsett before he apply Colburn. He also think Curtis.
Edited: May 22, 2018, 6:53 AM · Colburn and Curtis are two of the hardest music schools in the U.S. to gain admission to--Curtis is harder to get into than Juilliard, and I have heard the same about Colburn. May I respectfully suggest that your friend plan to audition for other schools as well--Juilliard, New England Conservatory (Miriam Fried is excellent), maybe Eastman and/or Indiana? Choosing a teacher can sometimes sort itself out through the audition process.

I am assuming that your friend is indeed at the Curtis level of playing. Not everyone at that level will get into Curtis, or Colburn. Those are small schools that limit their enrollment.

May 22, 2018, 9:02 AM · From experience, be very careful with the teacher preference list. It is likely that the school will not accept you if your first preference teacher has no room. If the first pref teacher is not available, it's unlikely that a teacher down the list will consider you unless his or her first preference list is exhausted. Of course, if that's the only professor you are interested in at the specific school, there is no question of who you list down as first.
May 22, 2018, 2:24 PM · Mary Ellen Goree I think he will consider other schools as 2nd option, such as Guilliard, Mahanttan, Eastman, Indiana or New England. I know he is searching the teachers there as well. Any suggestion about teachers there?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings