Gift for "graduating" students

May 17, 2018, 11:10 AM · I've moved recently and am in the process of closing up my old studio location, so this spring's recital will be the last for several of my students. I like to give a gift to my graduating or moving-on students and it's fun for me to pick out something that will be personal to each of them, but given that there are several this year and my favorite shop for getting music gifts is temporarily closed for remodeling...amazon is just full of kitsch and I need some ideas! The "graduating" students are mostly middle school-high school, girls and guys, good musicians but not necessarily the type who want to wear it on their t shirt :)

Thoughts so far:
Recordings!--but nobody has cd players anymore!
Concert tickets--maybe see if I can get open-date ravinia lawn passes?
A classy mug, or key chain, or mousepad
Nice music bag--what kind would you like if you were a hs guy? :) I'm thinking black, over-the-shoulder, with a look that's not too "precious"--maybe "got music" or something :)
A volume of sheet music that would be up their alley, to build their collection (this is my frontrunner right now!)

Thoughts?

Replies (10)

May 17, 2018, 11:42 AM · I like the sheet music idea. You can personalize it for each student and write a nice note in the front.
May 17, 2018, 11:47 AM · My long-time teacher gave me a set of the Beethoven op. 18 quartets as a high school graduation gift.

Chamber-music parts make a great gift -- a good Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert collection would be my recommendation.

May 17, 2018, 2:40 PM · +1 for chamber music. You're emphasizing the life-long possibilities of communal music-making!

Another option would be your favorite edition of the Bach solo sonatas/partitas, assuming they don't already own this. Are they going to keep playing? Switch to another teacher?

As an evolving amateur who doesn't take lessons anymore, one thing I wish I had--but this gets into tricky territory--is a copy of my teacher's preferred bowings/fingerings for something I hadn't yet studied. Sheet music is great but I spend a lot of time staring at the Galamian Bach edition thinking "really?!" and wondering what Hsiao-mei or Claudia would have done. Maybe that's just me, though...

(My solution: buy more editions and cross-reference to decide what's suitable and then do what comes easiest from within that range of options...but I digress.)

May 17, 2018, 7:43 PM · Yep. Chamber parts. If you can spend that much. Paperback edition of memoir? Eg indivisible by four,
May 17, 2018, 7:55 PM · nice to see someone from the chicago area. they see lots of sheet music. a “bag” in my opinion is too personal as people have different preferences.
I think a Ravinia gift certificate is an excellent idea. Get them exposed to some live music, while chowing down.
May 17, 2018, 7:59 PM · dominants haha
May 18, 2018, 12:43 AM · Tuning fork for A at the local standard. Something you use all your life--well I do, and find it better than a smartphone app. If you want to spend more you can have it engraved. Or maybe not--would that change the pitch???
May 18, 2018, 4:59 AM · I always buy them a hardback copy of Ivan Galamian's "Principles of Violin Playing & Teaching". I write a personalized note in the front cover.

A great book, and a great gift!

May 18, 2018, 10:10 AM · Can I suggest my new book, Violinist.com Interviews Vol. 2 -- it tells the stories of many different violinists of various ages, backgrounds and also who play different genres of music. Part of my idea, in writing it, was to introduce young people to the violinists of our day, and to tell stories that will inspire young people (I had my own teenage students in mind) to keep going when things get tough, to explore different aspects of artistry, and also just to find a way to be themselves. Also, it's something you don't have to read cover-to-cover; you can look at the pictures, read one interview, read them out of order if you wish, etc.

Also, there's Violinist.com Interviews Vol. 1! :)

May 22, 2018, 8:58 AM · You can buy gift cards to the symphony - we do that frequently at the Davies Symphony in SF.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay