Violin strings

May 16, 2018, 5:29 PM · Please tell me what strings I could use to brighten the sound of my 1840 violin. I have used Tonicas for quite awhile. I have used Evahs, Dominants, and Visions.
I have a hearing loss so it is hard for me to hear the difference. However I do play in a 12 person ensemble. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Terry Carscadden

Replies (9)

Edited: May 16, 2018, 10:37 PM · Strings react differently on individual violins. You might consider Vision Titanium Solo Violin Strings. They are also one of the more durable strings on the market, IMHO.
May 16, 2018, 7:13 PM · Evah pirazzi might work for you
May 16, 2018, 9:58 PM · Do you use hearing aids?
May 17, 2018, 10:19 AM · Strings can make a huge difference, but also consider asking your luthier to adjust the fiddle for a brighter sound. Most violins can change color quite a bit with bridge and post adjustments. Sometimes people think their fiddle is dark sounding when a lot of it is the choices a luthier made when setting it up. Obviously you can't totally change the instrument's personality but you can usually move the needle quite a bit
May 22, 2018, 2:53 PM · To get higher bridge, will bring louder sounds straightaway
May 22, 2018, 3:36 PM · A higher bridge will work for you only if your violin can tolerate the greater force its top -OR- you switch to lower tension strings.
On some violins a higher bridge will result in more damping of the sound - unless you switch to lower tension strings.
Unless the neck is also reset to a larger angle, a higher bridge will result in lotsa trouble playing in higher positions.

The maker or shop should have set things up just right - although sometimes a new instrument may come with a bridge too high - it is easy to shave a bridge down a bit, impossible to build one up (although I did play with a cellist who had shims under his bridge - good cellist too, with lovely sound!).

May 22, 2018, 3:38 PM · ON-LINE HEARING TEST!

https://hearingtest.online/

Worth checking this out. It's free! Best done with over-the-ear haedphone.

May 22, 2018, 4:48 PM · Warchal Brilliants?
May 23, 2018, 6:39 AM · I second Nina. The have an amazing shimmer.

Cheers Carlo

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay