Is it possible to find out which wood my fingerboard is made up of with these images?

Edited: May 16, 2018, 9:12 PM · My violin is part of the Alfred Stingl series by H√∂fner. It's a As-045. The owner of the music shop told me that my violin is a good quality instrument that I won't have to upgrade or change for a long while. It cost me 200$ but that's because they discounted most of their instrument during that time. He also said that this instrument's price is going to be raised. He was right. It's now worth way more than the price I bought it for (exc. the shipping charges)
This is the description of the violin I that found on the website of the shop I bought it from: "This 4/4 size violin outfit includes: Solid carved spruce top, Plain maple back and sides, Golden brown finish and ebony fittings, Fitted with a maple bridge, Finetuner tailpiece, Polished steel strings, Round brazilwood bow with rosewood frog." It also came with amber rosin and a hard foam case.
The reason why I'm asking this question is because yesterday when I was playing my first finger got a slightly black hue on it. When I looked it up i found out that alot of fingerboards are made up of cheap wood painted black.
Here are the images i took:

My phone wouldn't let me copy the proper lobk so i hope this works.

Replies (6)

Edited: May 16, 2018, 4:11 AM · From what's visible in the photos, it does look like ebony. It is common practice to stain ebony black--even good ebony--to give it a more even coloration than natural wood. I do this on EVERY board I work on as the normal final step. This is just a surface coat (india ink or shoe dye are common), and then over time finger oils will darken the wood as they accumulate and replace the function of the dye.

Ebony used to be available that was pure black with tiny, almost invisible pores, but that kind of wood is scarce today. Now it commonly has larger pores, and grey-white or chocolate-brown streaks (unless you pay a lot of money and choose carefully), but these don't affect the durability of the wood, which varies widely, independent of these factors.

An example of the type of wood you mentioned would be a maple board painted black. This wood doesn't look like ebony at all, but yours does appear to be ebony.

May 16, 2018, 6:56 AM · My fingertips get black from the strings.
May 16, 2018, 9:11 PM · @Michael Darnton thank you so much. I was beginning to get afraid that I was sold a copy of the AS045 for the same process as the original. ^_^
@Bo Pontoppidan may you should post pictures here as well so an expert could be able to help you. :)
By the way I read somewhere (an old thread on a music forum) that if that happens changing the strings will fix the problems.
May 17, 2018, 4:47 AM · Tarnish on (old) silver strings can turn fingers black. Probably some peoples' fingers can chemically react with fresh strings to cause this as well.
Edited: May 17, 2018, 10:51 AM · Yes my fingers get dark from the metal windings on my strings. It's not harmful either to the person or the string. And it doesn't matter if the strings are old or new.
May 17, 2018, 11:57 AM · I have that problem with silver strings, but not on all brands. Happens on new strings, too. (My perspiration seems to corrode many E strings quickly, as well.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay