College Violin Performance studio size

May 15, 2018, 1:01 AM · Hello, I'm new to this site. My child is looking at joining a fairly prominent music school for a degree in violin performance. We were wondering how many students a typical professor has in a school such as NEC (Weilerstein) / CIM (Laredo) / USC (Dicterow). I suppose that these are not "typical" professors, but we're new to this and want to get an idea of what we're getting into.

Thanks in advance !

Replies (6)

May 15, 2018, 8:25 AM · JK,
I think this is highly variable. It can depend on the teacher's position: Does he/she fly in once a week to teach a couple of students? Tenured?
Not tenured but with benefits and salary dependent on studio size? Are they the only teacher at that U?
Does the teacher also teach any classes or have an administrative duty, such as department chair or dean?
I would imagine that a typical full-time teacher has somewhere between 10-20 students.

My question is: why does it matter? If the teacher is right for the student, why does the number matter?
Remember that you can learn a lot from your peers, especially in studio classes. Some teachers do show favoritism, or will pigeon-hole a new student from the start, or just phone it in on some they just don't like.
But I think that's more a function of character than number of students--some have the energy and enthusiam to give full attention to every student.

Edited: May 15, 2018, 8:45 AM · As for the professors you named, I know nothing about conservatory training, but my guess is that those people would not be legendary pedagogues if they only had one or two trainees or if they managed their studios poorly.

I think if you are having a test-lesson or two with a certain professor it would not be untoward for the student to ask how many they presently have. I don't think that's considered "personal."

May 15, 2018, 9:23 AM · This is such an odd question...most people I know who wants to study with Weilerstein or Laredo or Dicterow would just want to get accepted first, and then consider how much scholarship they get and then consider the school's location, etc. Studio size is like bottom of the list.

I think you should private message students in those studios.

May 17, 2018, 10:52 AM · Thank you all for the responses.

Part of the problem about "If the teacher is right, why does the number matter ?" is that the number of students that a teacher has may decide that. In any case, he settled on Dicterow@USC.

May 17, 2018, 11:16 AM · Okay then, why don't you tell us how many students each of these professors has? Got me curious now!
May 22, 2018, 8:55 AM · @PaulDeck : Well, we wish we knew... the choice was made without that knowledge. However, the positives were that he is a genuinely nice person and seemed to care about his students a great deal, in addition to matching in performance style and in the short trials, the teaching style worked well too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay