Best Oliv A string substitute?

May 11, 2018, 10:17 PM · Hi All,

About a year ago, I switched from Peter Infeld to High tension Olivs, and have never looked back. However, although I adore the entire Oliv set, the A string has proven to be especially annoying. It's not even about the tuning problems or the tone quality, those I can deal with, but the longevity of it. In a matter of half a year, I went through about three Oliv As due to the winding unraveling; the last one of which unraveled even before tone started to stabilize.

I don't think it has anything to do with the set up of the violin, as no other string I have used behaved like this.

I have tried to use other strings with mixed success, like the Eudoxa A and even the Tricolore A, which I liked quite a lot, but did not mix well with the rest of the Olivs.
I have the Eudoxa A on at the moment, but really don't like the tone of it...

Any recommendation would be appreciated!

Replies (9)

May 11, 2018, 10:23 PM · ...just a quick question. when you say 'high tension Olivs, do you mean heavy gauge as opposed to medium?
May 11, 2018, 10:27 PM · Yes, I mean the heavy gauge. Since I came from synthetics like most players, I'm not quite used to the gauges of gut strings...
May 11, 2018, 11:55 PM · I've had the same problem with the Oliv A string unwinding - it's even happened straight out of the envelope. Never had that problem with any other A string (and I happen to like the sound of the Oliv A, but what's the point?). One substitute is the Passione A. That should work, but I wish they would solve the Oliv A problem...
May 12, 2018, 12:31 AM · Where does the string start to unravel?
May 12, 2018, 12:34 AM · I currently use Passione Solo A with Oliv silver D and rigid G. That works for me. Non-gut alternatives are Aricore-Eudoxa and Warchal Amber. I have the same experience you did with the Oliv A. Good sound, but never became stable like the D and G before unraveling.
May 12, 2018, 3:29 AM · I used Olives for a while and tho7ght they were the best strings for my instrument but the A was frustrating and eventually I moved on. At that time the idea to try a separate A string had never occurred to me . I have been considering trying. Olive G and D again with one of the Warchal steel A strings but now they are so expensive.
May 12, 2018, 9:05 AM · After all the negative reviews I've read, I've so far avoided the Oliv A. I have used Oliv stiff D-G more than once on my 1883 instrument -- plus Eudoxa A, which OP currently uses.

Though I've always liked the tone of this A, I had a problem similar to what he described: It didn't mix well with the neighboring Oliv stiff D -- at least on this particular fiddle. In playing double-stops on A-D, I found that the Oliv stiff D consistently took hold right away, while the Eudoxa A sometimes delayed sounding. I noticed the problem more in ascending passages -- G-D-A -- than descending. Very annoying. I suspect string-tension difference was a factor. Both strings were medium gauge.

The only Passione I've tried is so far is regular A. I have it teamed now with Eudoxa stiff D-G on this same instrument. The response is fine -- no disconnect -- but the Passione tension is greater than the Eudoxa tension. This fiddle seems to prefer lower tension overall than what this combo yields. So I'm now leaning toward a full Eudoxa set at next string change -- I've had good results from it before on this instrument.

Edited: May 12, 2018, 9:13 AM · Chao, what if you try bringing the Oliv A up to pitch very slowly when installing it - maybe even over a few hours? I wonder if that might help to preserve the winding.
May 12, 2018, 9:22 AM · Hey Martin, it has unwound at the nut (right out of the envelope) and, over a week or so, it will start at the bridge. I really don't think there was a problem at the nut - in fact, I had a very well regarded luthier install a brand new Oliv A for me to see what would happen and if he could figure it out. It unwound, and he couldn't say it was the nut's fault. Nutty, right?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases