Recital Prep

Edited: May 10, 2018, 7:20 PM · Hi violinist.com-ers!
I'm playing my high school senior recital this Sunday. It will be the longest program I've ever played - consisting of the full Mendelssohn concerto, two Bach movements, Bartok's Romanian Dances, and one short Heifetz piece. Rings in at about 50 minutes. It's the most I've ever performed, so I'm approaching the recital with an open mind and ready to learn from whatever it might teach me about playing programs of this length. Despite this, I want to come as prepared as possible (of course). Any advice on playing recitals of this length (or just in general) as well as going about the last few days prep is much appreciated!! Cheers!

Replies (4)

May 10, 2018, 7:37 PM · Can't advice anything, but Break a leg! (or is that only for actors?)
May 10, 2018, 7:41 PM · Do the entire program 3x in a row during the practice session. It will teach you a lot about what breaks down when you are tired and not concentrating, and therefore what is more fragile and requires some reinforcement. It will also really force you to learn to pace yourself.
May 10, 2018, 8:40 PM · What's the order? Which Bach movements?
May 11, 2018, 5:22 AM · I agree with Lydia's advice although I think playing it twice through in a row is enough. Do not do this the day before the recital though. You want to be well rested and focused on the day.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings