Teacher recommendations in Maryland

Edited: May 9, 2018, 3:03 AM · I am hoping to get some teacher recommendations for private lessons in Maryland. I have an advanced 7th grader who has been playing violin for 5 years. We are looking for someone to push her and help fix a few ingrained habits. We live in Howard County and would, ideally, like to stay close to home. My husband and I are both musicians as well (clarinetist) so we know how invaluable the right teacher can be. Thanks!

Replies (4)

May 9, 2018, 4:04 AM · Not super close to where you are for lessons, but you can try contacting Sasha Mikhlin in Annapolis or June Huang in Fairfax, they seem to know a lot of the other teachers in that general area. They're the only teachers from the DC/Baltimore area that I've met.
May 9, 2018, 4:22 AM · When you say "push", what sort of commitment are you wanting her to make to the violin? How many hours of practice a day, and learning with what level of rigor, and to what goal?

What's her learning style, and what do you want out of a teacher?

The greater Baltimore/DC area is full of teachers.

May 10, 2018, 5:09 PM · Lydia- she is currently bored with the violin because her teacher seems to just go through the motions. She has a lot of natural talent and I think she has been getting by with that in that she hasn't had to work TOO hard because she can do what has been asked of her. She wants more from a teacher as well and I think she will rise to the challenge of a teacher who is more of a pedagog. As for a goal for her- we want her to apply herself to be the absolute best in whatever she does. As professional musicians, we know the commitment it takes to go down that road so we don't want to push that on her, but if that is her choice we are fully behind it.
Edited: May 10, 2018, 6:21 PM · Feel free to message me privately, either via email or via Facebook.

(I study with Emil Chudnovsky, who is excellent, but is also probably farther away than you want to drive.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay