Gospel Lyrics, blues and disco

May 2, 2018, 10:50 PM · here are 2 out of 22 songs I wrote around 2001 - 2003, and performed at various places for about 8 years. The back grounds are a Yamaha QY 100 music sequencer. I'm doing the vocals, violin, and a bit of lead guitar on the disco.

http://www.joegerardi.net/snow/13%20-%20Track%2013.mp3

http://www.joegerardi.net/snow/21%20-%20Track%2021.mp3

the first one is a blues called How 'bout You
the second is the disco, yup, disco called Why We Dance

Replies (6)

May 4, 2018, 10:34 AM · Dave,

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Most certainly electric violin or a pickup through a PA?

Violin can add much to many different kinds of arrangements. Doesn't appear to be the main ingredient here but it makes a nice "salt".

I don't feel as if I'm hearing a lot of detail due to the recording unfortunately. Could be partially due to file compression.

Did you enjoy the travel during those 8 years?

May 4, 2018, 4:45 PM · Timothy: thanks for listening. and yes, I was using either a Yamaha sv or my barcus berry acoustic/elrctric violin thru my own PA.

when I said 'various places' they were all within the city. mostly street people drop-in centers, Sally Ann's and Coffee houses. and some 'not Sunday morning' church events.

I agree the violin is somewhat murky especially on the disco. could be the compressed files, too much reverb, or I just wasn't playing 'clean enough or a combination of the 3.

what finally did me in was hauling the gear around. I was using a big old Traynor K4 keyboard amp with lines out to 2 powered Wharfedale cabinets with 15" speakers and horns. after I got all the gear hauled into the venue it would take me at least 30 minutes to make all the cable connections... 2 sequencers for the backgrounds, mixer, mic, guitar pedal, violin pedal, cabinets. and then I'd hafta do it all again in reverse and go home. But I had enough power to play a warehouse, which I did on a few occasions.

the best gig I ever had was at a Sally Ann with about 60 street people. I may have been 'on' that night as they stood up for me in the middle of my set and again at the end.

May 5, 2018, 9:20 AM · Nice playing Dave, enjoyed that.
May 7, 2018, 7:50 AM · Dave I believe it's difficult to get a decent sound with some electric violins no matter how well you play.

Moving lots of gear by yourself can take a toll. I did similar for years although playing keys. In one "portable church" I played I would bring all of my gear to a stage auditorium every week. Then a big trailer would pull in and we would haul in the huge PA system and projection equipment. Afterwards tear it all down again. Pretty much blew my Sunday by the time we were finished. The time I had left was the time I needed to rest.

I don't miss that aspect of it. Maybe you've seen the more portable PA systems out now made by Bose and similar? They don't require nearly as much effort and they are much smaller.

I don't miss those days at all. Yesterday I played a simple offertory " Come Thou Fount". So nice to bring one small acoustic instrument in and that's all you need!

May 7, 2018, 7:09 PM · yup, Bose systems are great, just don't need that kinda thing any more. right now I've got a Mark bass Combo II (300 watts) thru a Boss ME-20 pedal for the blues bar jams. it's only 15' X 14" X 16" with one 12" speaker and I sit it on an amp stand. because of new speaker technology it only weighs 35 lbs. if you bring anything much larger, you can't fit it on stage, and unlike the miscellaneous guitar players, I can't plug into the stage guitar amps cuz they sound bad for violin.

so did the Church rent an auditorium with a stage for services, or how did that work?

May 8, 2018, 11:02 AM · Glad you found a better setup Dave.

Yes the church rented a large auditorium in a high school. It was a lot of work to set up and tear down every week. They were a branch from a larger church and I was trying to help out some. I did it for a few years until we got a guitar player who started calling the shots. At the time I knew no other way to deal with it than to say, " Here ya go, it's all yours".

I would say let's do this and that and he would come in like a second leader and say, " let's do this and that." Can't have two leaders at the same time.I should have taken him by the side and had a talk with him, but I was tired and ready to give it up anyways so he became the leader, I left and a few years later the whole thing folded. Sad really.I still wanted them to succeed. Worked out better though. I don't need to set up anything now and I have a real piano to play.

The main reason for the failure IMO is because there were already numerous churches in the area and the population was rural.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings