violin teacher in Boston for my son

May 1, 2018, 5:31 AM · Hi!
I am planning my 3 month visit to MIT in the begining of 2019. I hope to live as close as possible to the labs. May be even on campus.

So, i will need a violin teacher for my son for that period, preferably nearby.
Can you please recommend me someone, or a place where to look.

Thanks in advance

Replies (13)

May 1, 2018, 6:04 AM · Age? Level?

New England Conservatory has a Prep department with a lot of options, but there may be other places and people.

May 1, 2018, 6:41 AM · Check with Johnson Strings ( https://www.johnsonstring.com ) they may have a listing of area teachers.
May 1, 2018, 9:24 AM · 3 months is a tricky length of time. Is it over the summer, or during the school year?
May 1, 2018, 11:06 AM · You could check with the Longy School of Music in Cambridge.
May 1, 2018, 12:07 PM · I think they got out of the business of teaching kids after they were swallowed up by Bard College. A lot of teachers had to find other homes.
May 1, 2018, 1:24 PM · My son is 5, will be 6 next year. He speaks fluently english. His english better than mine))) we live in europe now, he follows russian program, compleating the first grade.
(In next march i hope it will be progressing to half of 2 nd grade). Now he has two lessons a week, each 1-1,5h long +1 lesson of 30 min of music theory + 1 lesson of rythmic with other children (a small orchestra of wierd instruments).

He is not a mozart or prodigy, but he trully likes violine and all the lessons, "composes" his songs and loves to perform "concerts".
One time a week is not enough, as i am not violinist, and half defth, so i can not control or guide him. Most of his homework he does himself, but i have to be an audience. ))))

i do not want to make so long pause in the lessons.

According to the plan I will have to start at MIT from march2019, but i think we will arrive in february to settle him in the school etc.

It is difficult to enrole a child into a music school in the middle of the school year. So i think, to find a privite teacher is easier, espesially, if i arrange everething in advance.

Some web pages have a list of teachers, but they all very young, mostly students, and teach biginers and intermediates. Only few are dare to clame an advanced level.
My son is not advanced, but for me the level of pupils they take reflects their own level.
It is hard to imagine that one loves only beginers and do not want to be involved in progression of a good pupil. I suspect, it is the level above which a teacher does not have an expertise...

So, any ideas how to find a good teacher?

May 1, 2018, 3:27 PM · Seek teachers that are great with beginning students, since your son is a young beginner and he's certainly not going to advance beyond a beginner level in 3 months. Teachers of advanced students often don't enjoy working with beginners, and might or might not enjoy working with intermediate-level students, and they might not be good at either teaching at the non-advanced level or teaching young students.

Entering into an in-demand teacher's studio for twice-a-week lessons for just a three month period might be very difficult. You'd be taking up two time slots that would be vacated when you leave the country again (and those two time slots might not even exist in the first place).

You will probably not find the music theory and group lessons outside of a community music school or Suzuki program.

Edited: May 1, 2018, 4:52 PM · Yup! There's a few I know personally (and I've been taught by them):
Sharon Music School - A bit of a drive, but they have great violin teachers. One is named Nelli Jabotinsky, she's getting her doctorate degree right now, and Ms. Jo Manning-Souza (who is my teacher) is also great. Mrs. Nelli is very specific and good for solo work, and Mrs. Jo is more well rounded, doing chamber, orchestral, and solo. Sharon Music Academy's website is here http://sharonmusicacademy.com/course/violin-lessons/
They are amazing, and I've won a lot of positions in orchestras and won a few competitions with their help!
There's also Elizabeth Anderson, who is super nice and does fiddle music along with classical violin. Her website is http://www.elizabethandbenanderson.com/lessons.html
May 1, 2018, 7:28 PM · Note that most community music schools normally charge by the semester, so if you're only in the country for 3 months, you will be paying for a bunch of time you're not present.
May 1, 2018, 8:40 PM · Thanks for info and advice.

Is Nelli that beautiful young girl in the left corner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8gY3B906Y

May 7, 2018, 6:56 AM · Contact Bayla Keyes at Boston College. She is great with kids and has a delightful sense of humor.
May 7, 2018, 7:41 AM · One note of caution to the OP: every private lesson teacher I know, including myself, has been the recipient of scam emails that purport to be from a parent (usually foreign) seeking a private teacher for his child for a short term while the parent is visiting the city on business. If you don't want your email inquiries to be deleted, please put as much specific information in them as you can--your child's name, age, instrument, pieces currently being studied, etc. And do not, repeat DO NOT try to set up some sort of pay in advance scheme. Ask the teacher how s/he would prefer to be paid. It might not hurt even to acknowledge up front how similar your actual situation is to a known scam.
May 8, 2018, 5:57 AM · Thanks for the advice. I did not know, that something like this exist. People become more and more creative.

However, at NEC they wrote me back, that it should not be a problem to schedulle private lessons, even if it will be only for three months.

I will keep searching, as i like everething to be planned (with plan b in the pocket).

For me the first choice whould be a teacher with similar approach and focus in teaching, as we have now. We will proceed with our teacher after we come back, so i do not want to brake the flow they have established.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings