After Bruch?

April 20, 2018, 9:33 AM · Did some Sarasate and show pieces as long with Mozart concertos, Beethoven and Brahms sonatas. Recently finished Bruch, what next?

Replies (16)

April 20, 2018, 9:56 AM · Lalo or Mendelssohn typically.

Wait for it .... (the "ask your teacher" comment) ...

April 20, 2018, 10:35 AM · Well, the OP *should* ask his teacher....

Saint-Saens #3 is another possibility, in addition to Lalo or Mendelssohn.

April 20, 2018, 11:13 AM · A string quartet?
April 20, 2018, 11:30 AM · You are funny Paul. : )
Edited: April 20, 2018, 12:04 PM · My guess is that the OP would not have gotten anywhere near Mozart if he wasn't accustomed to seeking his teacher's advice about all things violin. My sense is that this site is used to see if there are other ideas out there that he could float.

If he has played sonatas then he must have access to a good pianist. If so then the Franck Sonata is a beautiful piece and someone at the Bruch Level should be able to play it.

April 20, 2018, 12:32 PM · It's kind of traditional to follow Bruch with Mendelssohn or Lalo or St. Saens.

But it really should be about what technique you and your teacher are trying to improve/develop. So maybe the next thing is a Bach concerto or unaccompanied Bach.

I think a lot of young violinists waste way too much time learning Romantic concertos they'll never perform and may not even audition with. There's a lot to violin playing besides 19th century concerto technique. If I were your teacher I'd have you spend a lot of time with etudes, short pieces.

Dont, DeBeriot, Weiniawsky, Kreisler etudes and short works all provide tremendous learning material for an advancing fiddler and are just gorgeous, fun music to play. Even Paganini -- the less crazy Paganini caprices are worth exploring long before you are really "ready" for Paganini.

Or take sections from the great concertos and use them like etudes. The Beethoven concerto can be a wonderful etude (for that matter, so can the 1st violin parts from almost any Beethoven quartet). You can get the learning benefit without spending 9 months of your life on a concerto.

Yet another body of music worth attacking at this age is orchestral excerpts.

Gingold's three books for violin are still and print and they're wonderful selections - and if you want to play more extended excerpts from those pieces, nearly all violin parts from the great repertoire are downloadable on IMSLP.

April 20, 2018, 1:25 PM · The Brahms D-minor Sonata.
April 20, 2018, 2:43 PM · If you are practicing two hours a day, and you are spending 9 months of your life to learn a concerto, you are doing something wrong. If you're doing concertos that aren't massively long (not Tchaikovsky or Brahms, say), you should be able to learn one to a reasonable performance standard in 3 or 4 months, if not faster.

Most students who get to the Romantic concerto level have already done at least one of the Bach concertos, as well as unaccompanied Bach, Kreisler short works, Wieniawski short works, and Dont etudes (they might still be doing Dont op. 35 though). It's always easy to go backwards, of course, but most kids will want to do things that push forward in difficulty level.

Like folks stated, Bruch is traditionally followed by Mendelssohn, Lalo Symphonie Espagnol, or Saint-Saens 3. Barber, Wieniawski 2, or Khachaturian are also not uncommon. Vieuxtemps 4 or 5, if you haven't already done them, might also be a possibility.

Sonata-wise, there's a lot of repertoire to choose from. Faure or Franck are possibilities, if you want a change in style from Germans.

April 21, 2018, 12:41 PM · Ask your teacher - and if your teacher doesn't agree with what you want to do next, keep changing teachers until you find one that does...

April 22, 2018, 2:15 AM · After brunch?
I like to take a nap....
Edited: May 1, 2018, 10:34 AM · Conus is another one to check out.

I'd avoid Franck without having a pianist in mind.

May 1, 2018, 11:07 AM · I don't mean to be extra but ... is 3rd movement included?

many play this at a time where they are only capable of the 1st and 2nd, which means the "after bruch" question depending on the presence of 3rd movement, can lead to dramatically different answers.

May 2, 2018, 8:04 AM · well, what do you *want* to play? And what are your objectives?

Sounds like you haven't been doing much Baroque stuff - how about some Bach, or possibly Biber or Tartini?

Or how about Fratres by Arvo Part?

May 2, 2018, 12:13 PM · Maybe the Glauznov or one of the Vieuxtemps?
May 2, 2018, 12:56 PM · The Glazunov is very much more difficult than the Bruch.
Edited: May 3, 2018, 12:10 PM · *facepalm* Whoops.
I have no idea what I meant to say there, yikes.
Brain fart.
Also, Sam, what Sarasate pieces did you do?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings