New string!!

April 15, 2018, 12:02 PM · Another new violin string from Pirastro!

https://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Perpetual-00004/

Replies (31)

April 15, 2018, 1:11 PM · It's probably nice, but medium-high tension. Guess that's their niche, at this point.

It also has some "mystical" descriptions that sound like marketing hype rather than sticking to facts. More useful would be a factual comparison of this new product vs their others. It does mention some hints as to their tone quality, but also a lot of "exuberant lustre" descriptors that do nothing to sell the product (to me, at least.)

I give them credit for not discontinuing all their back catalog, however, in favor of their new tech (and for making yet another steel A.)

April 15, 2018, 1:44 PM · Perpetual came out for cello about two years ago, and at least on the cello, is apparently a powerful, extremely responsive (i.e., requires a skillful player) string.

It's got a new core technology that's different from the one used for Evah Pirazzi et.al.

Curious to see what it'll be like.

Edited: April 16, 2018, 8:51 AM · As always, I'll give it a test. I've been through the new string game so many times now, I don't have any particular expectations.

I love these marketing descriptions though. I think I could do it....

New string based on a proprietary core material harvested from the rings of Saturn. Sounds just like gut, but richer and more colorful. More responsive than a hummingbird wing. Vibranium coated E string never whistles and feels easy in the left hand. Projects more than any other string, yet allows easy access to soft sounds and tone colors. Ball ends made of adamantium.

Anyone want to buy a set? Hehe.

April 15, 2018, 2:54 PM · I think you make an extremely irresistible salesman Douglas...
April 15, 2018, 4:31 PM · What I find interesting is that it is listed under the synthetics, whereas the perpetual cello features a rope core and is under steel core strings....I am curious why they bear the same name...

Anybody tried them yet? Do we have any info about their price?

Edited: April 15, 2018, 4:37 PM · Well, Hermes, the EP cello strings are steel, and the EP violin and viola strings are synthetic. Why can't it be the same with Perpetual? I think it's because cellists prefer steel strings and violinists prefer synthetic strings.
April 15, 2018, 5:14 PM · Ella, I knew that Obligato for cello are synthetic so I had never checked that before...
April 15, 2018, 6:04 PM · Yes, curious about price and as a violin mom, size as well.
April 15, 2018, 6:51 PM · It's only available in 4/4 size, as far as I know from the site. If you're wanting strings for your daughter, unless she's particularly advanced or something, most cheaper synthetics will do just fine.
April 15, 2018, 7:14 PM · Would be "cool" to try the G&D with the steel A and the medium platinum E string. It will most certainly wake up my G's high C wolf for sure, though. I will stick to gut for now, I think.
April 15, 2018, 9:14 PM · will these be louder than evah's
Edited: April 16, 2018, 1:35 AM · My daughter (7 yo) is not crazy advanced but she is very picky.

We have tried almost all fractional strings out ther from Amethyst to Zyex and she strongly prefers EP. Perpetual sounds like it would be a good alternative to EP.

One can always hope...

April 16, 2018, 3:16 AM · Perpetual seem to be the most expensive strings in the cello line of Pirastro. If they keep the "ranking" with the other models and coming with the expensive platinum E, it is to be expected that these will be the new "top" of the company

The tension is higher than EP/EPG so I would imagine they aim for loudness.
And the name and composition suggest longevity... Maybe they are marketing a Evah Pirazzi PLUS... Louder and longer lasting?

April 16, 2018, 5:55 AM · They skipped right over the viola offering.

I wonder it they’ll do steel or synth for viola?

April 16, 2018, 7:05 AM · They skipped right over the viola offering.
I wonder it they’ll do steel or synth for viola?

Maybe for viola they will introduce a 100watt amplifier and speakers instead ... (wink)

April 16, 2018, 11:01 AM · I don't know about the viola version. It might come out soon. Who knows?
April 18, 2018, 12:58 PM · Anybody in the world try these yet?
Edited: April 19, 2018, 5:45 PM · This set is available for pre-order at Shar right now, they don't know the arrival date yet. $107 per set.
Edited: April 19, 2018, 2:49 PM · At that price point, may as well stick to EP. Too bad. Best of luck to Pirastro.

Long live(d) gut strings.

(Sorry for my tone-I just feel Thomastik-Infeld and Pirastro are vying for the "who can make the most expensive synthetic string" prize, and it doesn't look scientific or provable that they should charge that much, other than asking for as high as the market will pay. It's perfectly fine if most pay this price, but it seems quite a lot for both Pi and now Perpetuel. At least Passione and Oliv are gut strings. I do not understand how this technology can be so expensive to manufacture. Hope you all enjoy the results, though.)

April 19, 2018, 3:36 PM · This price tag is almost one third of my rent,half the cost of a car tyre change, a little less than a new and good violin case and approximately the same as a new bridge & soundpost (or at least one of them, depending the shop you visit)... I think I will pass. What I really cannot handle is that if a G or D string of a set priced that high fails, unravels, or breaks - which is something that can happen and it is perfectly normal- I am then dealing with a certain damage around 30$
April 19, 2018, 4:39 PM · The price in the UK for a $107 set is likely to be £107plus. Can't help wondering how long before the tone starts to deteriorate, as seems to be not unusual with some top-of-the-range synthetics after a relatively short time - unless perchance these new strings have solved that problem, in which case they could be a winner. Meanwhile, I'll keep going with my next-to-everlasting gut +/- steel E, and a set of inexpensive steel strings on my folk fiddle (and they don't sound at all bad).

The price tag on these new strings can in part be accounted for by the cost of R&D, intellectual property protection - trade marks and patents (if there is invention involved), together with lawyers' fees - and marketing.

Edited: April 19, 2018, 5:49 PM · At this point, I would imagine if Pirastro or Thomastik would release a $30 set -- it could be the greatest set in the world and people would dismiss it as strings for students and amateurs! Many people automatically equate more expensive to higher quality.

For this set -- who knows? Maybe they are worth the price. Time will tell.

April 19, 2018, 8:05 PM · My guess is that a significant part of the budget to launch a new string is marketing and other business-related expenses. R&D might be only a fraction of the cost.

In any event, expensive strings are probably marketed more towards students and amateurs, who don't constantly change strings due to playing less, and who tend to have either lower-quality instruments that they hope to improve incrementally via strings. Or for amateurs, well-off engineering-minded folks who like to try to optimize and are willing to spend money experimenting.

April 19, 2018, 11:38 PM · The string market is not different from other markets. The selling price is only marginally related to the production cost or the R&D costs. Price is set from expectations of how much the intended customers will be willing to pay. And if you are building an image of being a premium brand you will gravitate towards setting premium prices.....
April 20, 2018, 2:21 AM · If Perpetual strings can stay great perpetually, then $107 is nothing.
April 20, 2018, 2:49 AM · Absolutely! You should consider cost, not price. We don't know yet what the cost of these strings will be; we only know the price.
April 20, 2018, 4:23 AM · I think we may be misconstruing the underlying meaning of “perpetual”. Perhaps it refers not so much to the longevity of the strings, but rather to the ever gaping maw of desire violinists have for that perfect set of strings. “Perpetual” in this aspect has more to do with Sisyphus perpetually rolling that boulder up the hill to no avail, only to begin yet again and again...perpetually....

Not that I’m complaining, I enjoy trying out new strings.

April 20, 2018, 5:07 AM · It would be nice if there is a money-back guarantee for trying out new strings.
April 20, 2018, 7:41 AM · I am interested in all of the new and so called better strings that come out but they are so expensive. If they offered a discount on the first time purchase of new stuff they would be more likely to entice me to buy a set.
April 20, 2018, 7:53 AM · Jeff, Warchal does exactly that. If you order direct from them the first set comes at a discount.
April 22, 2018, 4:55 AM · The motion of a violin string is so violent that it's hard to imagine that a complex, multi-layered synthetic could ever last more than a few weeks:

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases