Violin Lesson Scholarship

April 14, 2018, 3:34 PM · Violin lessons are really the only way to learn to play, but they are expensive. It's good that there are some scholarships out there for kids who can't afford it. There's one called Noteworthy Students in the Detroit area: http://kck.st/2IrZ6a1

Does anyone know of any other private lesson scholarships out there? Or any ideas on how to raise money for theM

Replies (16)

April 14, 2018, 4:16 PM · Check out the ELM program in San Rafael, CA ( http://www.elmprogram.org ). This program, based on the philosophy of the El Sistema program in Latin America can be replicated anywhere.
April 14, 2018, 7:55 PM · I won a scholarship throught a foundation in Frederick, Maryland, along with several other kids. I forgot what the place was called I won it from though. I guess if you really needed money, you could do a fund me page, but that is like an only choice desperate for money idea.
April 14, 2018, 7:57 PM · Okay, it was called the Community Foundation of Frederick County. They give out many college scholarships, too.
April 15, 2018, 9:47 AM · The studio where I take lessons (Renaissance Music Academy of Southwestern Virginia) provides a few scholarships for students in need. Of course you have to be an RMA student. But I suggest you seek out the larger studios in your area because sometimes they have other funding streams that enable them to provide a few scholarships.
April 15, 2018, 5:26 PM · I know of a few local private teachers including myself who will teach a few hardworking students on scholarship, which in this case simply means that I significantly reduce my fee. These students either were recommended to me by their school orchestra director who knew their situation (free or reduced-price lunch), or were existing students whose families ran into financial difficulties.
April 15, 2018, 5:52 PM · Apparently Katie Williams is advertising the scholarship that she's trying to Kickstarter

Various competitions provide small scholarships as prize money, but I suspect that few of them are substantial enough to cover private lessons for, say, a semester.

April 15, 2018, 5:54 PM · The community orchestra I play in gives students a scholarship based off an audition if we choose to play with them. I’m getting $480 dollars this year from it.
April 15, 2018, 8:43 PM · $480 is about a month and a half's worth of lessons with me.
April 16, 2018, 9:50 PM · The $600 I got frommy scholarship only lasted a few months.
April 16, 2018, 9:58 PM · "Foul play by the ISO...." I find that hard to believe.
April 17, 2018, 12:43 PM · At the community music school I go to and other community music schools in my area, there is financial aid available. At my music school, students who participate in the annual festival may win scholarships ranging from about $50 to about $300-400.
There are alternate ways to learn violin besides private lessons, but they don't give as good of results and should only be used if private lessons are simply not a possibility.
Edited: April 19, 2018, 6:41 AM · I wonder if your acquaintance wanted you to share that with the world.
Edited: April 18, 2018, 3:37 PM · He seemed very open about it, even said some stuff on Facebook.
Edited: April 18, 2018, 3:46 PM · Sure, just saying that maybe it's his place to do that and suggesting caution. Fine line between info and gossip.
April 18, 2018, 8:09 PM · It makes absolutely ZERO sense for a professional symphony -- whether in the form of its administration, music director, or players -- to mess with a community orchestra.

A community orchestra that finds itself in conflict with any kind of local professional ensemble is seriously doing something terminally stupid.

April 18, 2018, 8:41 PM · Jacob, I respectfully suggest that you reconsider leaving your recent indiscreet comments up. It's one thing for someone to put their own words out in public; it's something else for someone else to do it for them. And I would also suggest that it's wise to take the words of any single individual about an organization, especially when that individual is a former employee of said organization, with a grain of salt. There are almost always at least two sides, if not more, to any story.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases