Your Focus when in the aduience at a concert

April 13, 2018, 1:50 PM · I find that I'm as interested in observing technique as much as I like the music. While my/our primary interest is chamber music we do attend Community and Semi-Professional orchestra concerts.

Watching the communication in a chamber performance, how the violinists use their bows, make shifts, even the coordination between stand-partners making page turns gets my attention in addition to the music.

How about you? Is it just the music, or something more?

Replies (3)

April 13, 2018, 2:11 PM · It's not just about the music (although it is around 97% of it) but also about the performance. If we wanted to just hear music, we would've just downloaded a track or something, but we came for a performance.
April 14, 2018, 7:11 AM · At the symphonies, we sit in the center of the back row of the 2nd balcony, where we find the best sound at Woolsey Hall. For the baroque opera and chamber music (always in much smaller halls), we sit as close as possible to the musicians to study their technique.
April 14, 2018, 7:54 AM · For a few years, (basically my last few years of highschool through my first few years of undergrad studies at conservatory,) I began having trouble enjoying classial music concerts because ALL I could think about was, ‘oh, I didn’t like the 1st violinist’s fingering choice. That ritard didn't work well. I don’t like the cellist’s articulation. This orchestra’s intonation is OK, but nowehere near as good as the Berlin Phil’s!’ In other words, my thought patterns had become so critical and my expectations were so high that it was almost impossible for me to enjoy a classical concert and not walk away disappointed. I think the inability to simply enjoy the music came from some (unconscious) deep-seated unhappiness and preoccupation with my own defects as a player, probably exacerbated by the hyper-critical environment of conservatory.

Later on in college, when I began to appreciate my own playing somewhat, lumps and all, and had also made tremendous strides with my confidence and ability as a performer, I found that I was able to enjoy classical music again.

These days I LOVE attending classical chamber music concerts, but actually find that the concerts that speak most deeply to me are often live jazz concerts or contemporary music performances There is an intensity and freshness in these genres that really grabs my attention and touches my emotions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases