Do you use a metal A string?

April 12, 2018, 10:37 PM · I have tried a metal A, quite a while ago - but I wondered how many people do? Oistrakh made a wonderful sound and he used one.

Any comments?

Replies (17)

April 13, 2018, 1:37 AM · Many people used/occasionally use steel core A & E, and something else for the other two. It has to do with many things. The most common I have personally heard is eaither a different approach in tone (two treble strings and two "bass" strings, somehow like a 4-voice choir, or a better tone from the instrument with a steel core A, improving the "tonal" and "power" gap between the D and the A, and the A and the E. If the latter is the issue, it seems to me more as an unaddressed setup issue, or a not so correct string combination.

In many occasions I have tried a steel core A, but personally did not like either the result or the fact that I had to alter my bowing, or even get to a stickier rosin to achieve the same tone with GDA synthetics.

Fortunately if you want to experiment, there are many quality steel core A strings now.

April 13, 2018, 1:59 AM · Glad to see you posting again Peter. I have considered trying a steel A for quite some time since Warchal Strings started advertising them in the never ending quest for a better sound. It seems that a lot of people who do use a steel A use it with a separate fine tuner which I do not want to add on the tailpiece.
Edited: April 13, 2018, 3:03 AM · Just as I have a problem relating to the steel E, I hate the steel viola A: I like the trumpet, but not right under my ear!
I think we mistakenly expect the highest string (perched on the corner of the bridge, and practically over the soundpost) to accept the same bow-stroke as the lower strings: I use a longer, lighter stroke on a wound E (even the despised Dominant one!) or a synthetic viola A.

But a steel violin A has the advantage of a better transition to the E. I even have LP sleeve of Grumiaux with two fine adjusters..

April 13, 2018, 3:31 AM · The Warchal A I have used and you don't really need an adjuster. It's pretty good, and I "might" consider it again.

Adrian - read Ricci because he says you need a different bowing and left hand technique on the E, and I agree. It's never easy - playing the violin.

April 13, 2018, 11:14 AM · I've never tried Steel A and E with synthetic G and D (never tried gut strings). I much prefer synthetic As on both violin and viola. I hate the metallic sound of steel viola As. I like the sound of the steel violin E, though.
April 13, 2018, 11:28 AM · I do. The Warchal Russian-style A is decent, but the Avantgarde E (which uses the spiral that the Amber E has) is fantastic. I match it to medium-gauge Passione or Warchal Brilliant Vintage on the lower two strings.

My violin has an especially brilliant, powerful E-string, and I think that having the steel A smooths the contrast between A and E a bit more. But that's almost an interpretive choice in a way, because the E-string contrast can be used to significant tonal-color effect.

At the moment I'm using an Amber E with Passione lower strings, because the Avantgarde A was out of stock.

Edited: April 13, 2018, 4:17 PM · Occasionally I substitute a steel A and E for their usual gut counterparts, a typical instance being a few days ago when we started rehearsals for Beethoven 9, which we're performing in June. The combination of 2 steel + 2 gut works well on my old violin, but I'll revert later on in the year. I suppose one answer would be to get another violin for all-gut playing.
April 13, 2018, 3:18 PM · I don't use it regularly, but I keep an Avantgarde A as an emergency string in my case. I prefer the sound of a wound gut A, but for emergency situations the Avantgarde is almost instantly stable. And for a steel string it is very good.
April 14, 2018, 2:34 PM · I use a Helicore A. I like the response. Currently using it with Obligatos which you would think was a weird match but I find it fine.
April 14, 2018, 4:21 PM · I have used a set of Pirastro Permanent strings on one of my violas. They are very good (regardless of the core material), however because of some idiosyncrasies of that viola I have switched out the A and C strings to lower tension strings.

But because of that good experience I have tried the closest match I could find on one of my violins and set it up with a Pirastro Flexocor-Permanent set - except for the E string; I always use Thomastik Peter Infeld Platinum E strings on my violins and will until one of them breaks. After that I may try Evah Pirazzi Platinum or Gold to see how they do.

April 14, 2018, 5:55 PM · I've used a Spirocore A for a really long time now and love it. Works with most sets, since it's sufficiently round sounding. Keen to try the Avantgarde though.
April 22, 2018, 12:53 PM · I'm using Warchal (steel) A & E and PI D & G. Sounds fine. (to me, anyway)
April 23, 2018, 12:09 AM · The other day the A string of my Tzigane set started to break in the area of the bow pressure and I changed it with Warchal Avantgarde.

The sound was fantastic. Warmer than I expected. However it was uncomfortable for me because of its different feeling under the finger. It would take me a while to get used, so I put another Tzigane A, but next set, I will put the avantgarde and work on getting used to it. (In my tryouts of strings, next in line is the combination Eudoxa Stiff G&D, Avantgarde A and Amber E).
Apart from the texture and feeling, it was loud, colorful and warm and it mixed very well with the rest of the set. It is a good string.

April 23, 2018, 2:36 AM · I've decided to continue with the PI synthetic A string and not go back to the metal one at least for the time being, as I'm quite happy with the sound of the PI A,D and G. (Thomastic - Peter Infeld).

But one day I might try the Warchal strings, or at least the A.

April 29, 2018, 12:16 AM · Yes i do.

Warchal Russian A with Dominant G&D and Pirastro gold label E.

Eudoxa Aricore with Obligato G&D and Hill E string.

April 30, 2018, 10:29 AM · Another metal A-string that I like is NS-Electric made by D'Addario. They are the cheaper, all-steel version of the Helicore strings, designed to be used with magnetic pick-ups. I suspect that they sacrificed some volume in exchange for a mellow, clean sound.
May 9, 2018, 2:12 PM · Love the Avantgarde A. On my violin it really sounds comparable to a Vision Solo or Evah. You'd never know it was steel by the sound, but it has the nice playability of a steel string -- very good clarity at the top of the fingerboard.

I don't know where "Russian Style" A comes from. One explanation is simply that Russians had less money in the Soviet days and steel As were cheaper than gut. But I have also heard that Russian technique encourages staying in high positions on the A to lessen the number of shifts up and down the E. In any case, if you play with a steel A, you want something that is a transition in sound between your gut/composite D and your steel E. Avantgarde does that really well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases