Obscure Violin Concertos?

April 8, 2018, 10:55 AM · Anybody got any lesser, but still amazing violin concertos? I am looking for some pieces that aren't overused and maybe even rare, but are still incredible pieces. Also, any lesser-known composers that you like? Thanks.

Replies (27)

April 8, 2018, 11:05 AM · Conus E minor,
Paganini B minor, E major, D minor, A minor, E minor,
Myaskovski D minor.

April 8, 2018, 11:05 AM · I have a bunch of obscure favorites, though when it comes to violin repertoire I am only a listener as I mainly play viola.

My current favorite obscure violin concerto is the one by Guirne Creith, whose score and parts were lost shortly after its 1936 premiere by the composer herself, and rediscovered only in 2007.

Obscure concertos I like that are easier to find music for are Hamilton Harty's and Amanda Maier's, which I believe are both on IMSLP.

April 8, 2018, 12:11 PM · There are some obscure violin concertos posted in the blog by Tobias Broeker, as well as in the "For the Record" series. Also, what about Dvorak or Walton violin concerto?
April 8, 2018, 12:25 PM · Britten is getting more exposure, but is still a bit "out there" in terms of recognition.
Edited: April 8, 2018, 1:07 PM · Check out the YouTube channel "HenriVieuxtemps", it contains a large collection of obscure violin concertos, compiled by Dutch amateur violinist Bram Heemskerk.
April 8, 2018, 3:34 PM · Lalo's Violin Concerto is a big favorite of mine. There is also an Ysaye concerto no. 8 recording on youtube.
April 8, 2018, 6:37 PM · Viotti No. 427 is rarely played.
Edited: April 8, 2018, 8:49 PM · Borgström Violin Concerto in G major, Op. 25. I've been enjoying the recording of it by Eldbjørg Hemsing this week. Hadn't even heard of the composer!
Edited: April 8, 2018, 9:34 PM · The Khrennikov violin concerto in D Major is probably only obscure because the sheet music is so hard to get, but it's one of my favorite rarely played pieces. I've liked it since I was a little kid but I still never could find the sheet music.
April 8, 2018, 11:23 PM · The Ginastera Violin Concerto is an incredibly cool piece, but since it's ridiculously difficult, it's rarely played.
April 9, 2018, 2:33 AM · I love Jorge Grundman's "Concerto Sentido for Violin, Viola, Cello and string orchestra". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whvLkNWrm1w
April 9, 2018, 2:43 AM · @Paul Deck - yes all of the last 642 Viotti concerti get little attention - who knew that he has continued to write so prolifically, despite his style going out of fashion in the 1780s and him dying shortly afterwards? :)
Edited: April 9, 2018, 4:19 AM · There are many violin concertos that are not well-known but very interesting. Kurt Weill, Delius (really beautiful), Szymanowski (especially the first concerto), the first Bartok Concerto, Respighi, and some beasts that are rarely played due to length and difficulty like the Joachim "Hungarian" Concerto, Max Reger and Busoni (which I actually saw live once in a phenomenal performance by Frank Peter Zimmerman). Heifetz premiered and recorded a few very cool concertos that never entered the mainstream repertoire like Gruenberg, Rosza, Castelnuovo-Tedesco (no. 2, though he did apprently record the first which was never released). There are a lot more that will probably pop up in my mind later...

Cheers!

April 9, 2018, 4:33 AM · @Chris such an event as insignificant as death would not keep a man like Viotti from churning out more violin concertos.
April 9, 2018, 11:14 AM · Both Nikolai Rakov concerti are pretty rad.
April 9, 2018, 3:51 PM · I absolutely love the Dohnányi Violin Concerto No 1 Op.27 (he wrote two) and wish it was played more...
April 9, 2018, 4:34 PM · Walton Violin Concerto is pretty good, as is the Bruch D minor.

My absolute favorite piece is Joachim's "Hungarian" Concerto in D minor. It's long, extremely difficult, and obscure, but it's gorgeous. There used to be an amazing recording of Aaron Rosand playing it on Youtube, but it's been taken down, so you'll have to buy it.

Edited: April 9, 2018, 5:17 PM · The Goldmark Violin Concerto is rarely performed anymore. It is a gorgeous piece. Nathan Milstein's recording of it is fabulous. Josh Bell's recording of the piece is also excellent.

More beautiful concertos: Richard Strauss's Violin Concerto is also a very nice piece.Saint-Saen's Violin Concerto No. 1; Bruch wrote 2 other violin concertos beside the famous G minor concerto.

Here are some really obscure but beautiful violin concertos: Godard Violin Concerto No. 2; Harty Violin Concerto (written for Joseph Szigeti).

Also, Arensky wrote a violin concerto and Aaron Rosand recorded it. Rosand also recorded Jeno Hubay's Violin Concerto, H.W. Ernest's Violin Concerto and Ysaye's Chant D'Hiver for violin and orchestra.

April 10, 2018, 2:32 PM · I love performing the Bruch d minor, the Arensky (Tchaikovsky-lite), Conus, and the Suk Fantasie. I'm doing Joachim's "Hungarian" concerto in 2020 - a desert island piece for me. Bruch 3 would be ideal if it were ten minutes shorter...
Edited: April 20, 2018, 1:41 PM · Fauré Concerto Movement - though I prefer his handling of the themes in his much later string quartet.
April 21, 2018, 2:47 AM · Vaughan William's Violin Concerto in D minor, for violin and strings. Also known as "Concerto Accademico". It has been recorded by Kenneth Sillitoe.
April 21, 2018, 9:10 AM · Kurt Weill concerto with wind ensemble, Lou Harrison concerto with percussion ensemble, Busoni, Elliot Carter (2). I've performed the first 3 so here we have obscure violin concertos performed by an obscure violinist.
April 21, 2018, 12:01 PM · Haha to Mr. Berg!
April 22, 2018, 8:33 AM · Some concerto's I really like but are rarely played are De beriot no. 2,3,4, and Karol Lipinski no 3. Also Vieuxtemps no. 1 and 2 and Myaskovsky violin concerto:)
April 22, 2018, 4:59 PM · Nina, I like mine .
Not a violin concerto, a violin romance.
Here is a performance of it . Unfortunately here the orchestra needed rehearsl to get used to it and play it sharply and together , but the soloist is excellent and gives a good account :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh76vgqXw2A
April 24, 2018, 2:49 PM · Wow your romance is pretty cool!
April 26, 2018, 5:08 PM · Thanks Samuel!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases