Kavakos and Athens State Orchestra rehearsal in Agrinio

Edited: April 7, 2018, 6:57 AM · I came across this interesting little video the other day. It is uploaded (and probably by) a local news website of Agrinio (Agrinio TV), a city in western Greece.

Anyway that's a part of Leonidas Kavakos rehearsal with the Athens State Orchestra, for a concert in Agrinio.

Thought I should share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkBWN6tTbM

Replies (6)

April 8, 2018, 12:14 AM · Interesting, this is an almost all-male orchestra.

You don't see that a lot.

Edited: April 8, 2018, 8:31 AM · The lighting and visual quality of the video isn't all that good, but I counted at least 7 females, out of a chamber ensemble of about 30 - a not unreasonable ratio female/male ratio in the region of 33%, which is about the inverse of most of the orchestras I play in.

Did anyone notice some violinists seated in the audience behind the firsts, holding their violins int their laps? I'd guess this rehearsal may have been organised for the benefit of students at the Athens Conservatory, perhaps involving a workshop? Or perhaps the audience were other members of the full symphony orchestra sitting out the Mozart concerto?

The video is in Greek. Don't panic, Kavakos's name isn't really spelled Kabakos, it's just that in modern Greek the letter beta is a "v" sound, and "b" is represented by the mu-beta combination.

April 8, 2018, 7:28 AM · This symphony orchestra has about a bit more of 100 musicians (I think 27 are women, which is a relatively small ratio indeed contrary to what I have experienced in other orchestras and in conservatory). So probably the musicians holding the violins in their laps are just not participating in the Mozart concerto. I am familiar with this theatre were the concert took place, so these are not audience seats :)

I do not think that the rehearsal was organised for the benefit of students, since all this took place in another city, in Agrinio, not in Athens (it would be easier for them to attend any rehearsal in their hometown I guess).

Trevor, you know Greek? What you said about the pronunciation is 100% correct. (however there is a typo in Kavakos's name, not Kavados :) )

April 8, 2018, 8:44 AM · Hermes, thank you for pointing out the typo, which I've corrected. I was taught Classical Latin and Greek a long, long time ago, but I do remember the Greek tutor telling us later in the course about how modern Greek differs from Classical Greek, and one of the things that stuck in my mind was how the modern language uses beta and mu-beta to represent "v" and "b". That snippet came in useful on the couple of occasions I was on holiday in Greece (Athens, and the island of Poros) when reading notices etc.
Edited: April 8, 2018, 9:02 AM · The spelling of Kavakos is ?aß???? in modern Greek, Greek alphabet is ancestor of Cyrillic, similarly, both employ capitalized 'B' as 'v' and another letter for 'b'. In modern Greek, 'b' is µp: sharing the place of articulation like 'µ' [m] and the manner of 'p' [p], which is very scientific.
Edited: April 8, 2018, 9:30 AM · Indeed ancient and modern greek differ a lot, espcecially in the pronunciation of some vowels (and there are contradicting theories about it), but there are other obvious grammar, syntax and sometimes vocabulary differences, enough to give many modern greek speaking students a hard time when they get ancient greek courses in school.

Oh and since tutti violino said a few more things about greek language trivia, ? similar to the p is a consonant with a sound similar to "r/R". The consonant corresponding to P/p is the one on the package of the Peter Infeld Strings

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases