Free Digital Audio Workstation

Edited: April 4, 2018, 10:27 AM · I wasn't sure who this might interest.Maybe someone.

I have been using music software commonly referred to as a DAW or "Digital Audio Workstation". One of the programs I use was recently bought out by another company. That program was called Sonar by a company prior known as Cakewalk.
Cakewalk was owned by Gibson. I'm sure most of you are familiar with that name in guitars.Unfortunately Gibson
needed to liquidate some assets, so they sold the intellectual rights of Cakewalk to a Singapore company called Bandlab. Bandlab is an online collaboration site you can join for free and post music.
Meng, who is the company owner has announced today that this software will offered for free. It isn't a stripped down version. This is a fully functional program. You simply need to sign up for a Bandlab account.The only ommissions from the Gibson version are add on software programs that had required a separate licence to use.
This program at one time listed for 499.00. I have payed for upgrades on this program for the last 20 years or more.Unfortunately this is presently a PC only program however you can use some functions of Bandlab with a Mac.

If you fancy getting into a great recording program then here is your chance to do it for free.
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/sonar-now-free-renamed-cakewalk-bandlabore info here-

Oh and if you join you can follow me. I'm Starise over there. I haven't posted anything yet. I will follow you back.
https://www.bandlab.com/starise

Replies (2)

April 4, 2018, 2:29 PM · Awesome, how does it compare to Cubase AI?
Edited: April 5, 2018, 11:39 AM · Cubase AI would be a more basic program.Cakewalk by BandLab is the Platinum version of Sonar which is the highest tier.

With any new daw there is a learning curve.I find Cakewalk by BandLab to be very intuitive. FWIW there is plenty of documentation to get you started.
If you go to www.cakewalk.com and go to forums you will likely have any questions answered very fast, or ask me if you want.I have 6500 posts over there :)
For anyone who isn't familiar with a daw, you will need an audio interface and for recording violin a mic.Computer>daw>Interface>microphone or use a violin with a pick up on it, that is unless you import a file from another recording device.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases