Strings and Vibrato

April 3, 2018, 9:30 PM · I am happy the way that my vibrato is finding its personal sound. Still struggling with the flats near the nut, and with high positions in G and E to get them as strong as the rest... But overall, is developping healthy.
Now my question is that either I am too inexperienced or crazy or some strings allow for a cleaner vibrato than others. I find Dominant very satisfactory to do vibrato, but with Tzigane I need to widen the movement (and in consequence slow it) to get a similiar wobble. In the beginning I thought that it would be related to the string tension, but in the charts it seems that Tzigane and Dominant are almost the same.
So I would ask you if it is true that some strings facilitate the vibrato and others don't, and in that case which examples of good and bad about it come to your mind.
I'm in particular interested if, as average, you find gut better or worse for it.
I don't know if its necessary for reference, but not using a shoulder rest I just use finger/wrist, except for high positions with the pinky, where I use arm.

Replies (3)

April 3, 2018, 9:51 PM · I haven't noticed much difference.
Edited: April 4, 2018, 5:16 AM · Yes, in my opinion there is a difference. Zyex strings produced wonderful, ringing vibrato with little effort, and obligatos were quite the opposite on my violin. I’ve since moved to gut and they are just much better overall for producing really unique and nuanced vibrato depending on the speed of my bowing. It seems like there are just more “colors” that can be achieved on gut.
Edited: April 7, 2018, 5:18 AM · I imagine that a string which responds (and allows the wood to respond) quickly and easily under the bow will also allow quick modulation of frequency.

This response will depend on string's tension and stiffness, and its internal damping; but ease of vibrato will also how hard we have to hold the string down?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases