Viola Case Suggestions?

Edited: April 2, 2018, 11:52 PM · Next year, I will be beginning my first year of High School. At this New High School, there will not be a place to store my instrument during the day. In addition, I will also be taking the bus to and from School each and every day. Because of this, I am thinking of a Case Upgrade. A light case setup that is not bulky would be great. Cost isn't really an issue here.

Is it possible that a BAM Contoured Viola Case with a Cushy Deluxe Cover (w/ room for sheet music, etc.) would be optimal for my situation? Any suggestions?

Replies (11)

Edited: April 2, 2018, 9:45 PM · Without getting into the debate about wood/synthetic materials, I just want to point out that with the contoured you will not have space for the sheet music or School books. That may force you to carry an extra bag.

I love contoured cases. They are perfect for me to go to the violin class and back, but when I have other things to do apart from class, I need something with space to put books and documents, else I carry 2 bags.

April 2, 2018, 10:33 PM · I really like contour BAM and Mooradian case cover combo myself personally...
Edited: April 2, 2018, 11:54 PM · Thanks for the responses!

Carlos, that's where the Cushy Deluxe Case Cover comes into play with the extra storage for all of the sheet music.

Dorian, I've taken a look at those but is the $150 worth it, as opposed to the $80 Cushy Deluxe?

April 3, 2018, 5:17 AM · "Cost isn't really an issue here."

In that case IMO Musafia is the way to go here in the states since it looks like it's only a few hundred more than BAM or anything else that is a serious competitor.

That said just yesterday we received a very nice Bobelock oblong case in blue velvet for my son's Kiernoziak viola. It's heavy but a great case and stupendously well priced given the quality at $280 on sale, shipped.

April 3, 2018, 12:07 PM · I have the Bobelock case too. I paid about what Stan paid. It's a *tank*. It weighs a ton. It tears my arm half off just carrying it in from the car. That's okay by me because that's as far as I have to go with it. But if weight matters to you, do NOT get a Bobelock.
April 3, 2018, 1:16 PM · Re: Mooradian case covers,

I've only used Mooradians and haven't tried the Cushy, and all my colleagues use Mooradian or the BAM cover if they use a BAM contour. The Cushy don't look as well constructed as Mooradian and seems to me that you get what you pay for. But someone who has tried both can confirm or refute that claim...

April 3, 2018, 1:31 PM · The BAMs are used by a lot of people. My orchestra teacher at school uses a yellow oblong one (she gigs a lot) and schools can be a little rough, so I think the BAM would be worth it, especially if someone kicks your case over or something.
April 3, 2018, 2:07 PM · Get something shock & crush proof with total suspension inside: the sound of a violin disintegrating is unforgettable!
April 3, 2018, 2:44 PM · A BAM is going to be a whole lot less protective than a high-quality wooden suspension case.

If cost is not an issue, get a Musafia (or a comparable case, such as a Riboni, Negri, or Timms). The Lievissima is the lightest case they make.

The size of the extended music pocket on a Musafia oblong case is astonishing. Get a case with it and you don't need to carry any other bag for school.

Edited: April 3, 2018, 3:04 PM · My own viola case is a Bobelock oblong (model 2006, I think) that I have had since 2005. It has lots of open room inside as well as a room closed space. A should rest will easily fit in either space. The sheet music space runs the entire length of the integral case cover. It is reasonably light and quite protective

I tend to recommend Bobelock cases and own thire viola case as well as a Bobelock violin case. My other cases are much more expensive: 3 vintage Jaeger violin cases and 2 Musafia cases as well as a "no-name" double (violin viola). Nothing else is made as well as the Musafia cases, but dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat Bobelock.

several of my musical colleagues have BAM violin cases, I fact I, myself, own a BAM High-Tech cello case. from my experience in "Rocket Science" I am distrustful of carbon-fiber instrument cases. Carbon fiber is resistant to stretching and expansion but not to compression.

April 3, 2018, 11:01 PM · Lydia's comments are always well considered but if a high schooler is carrying as much stuff as my daughter does all in one carrier, her arm would fall off. I would suggest a daypack for carrying school books and notebooks. Just because you _can_ fit everything into your case doesn't mean you _should_.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases