I lost an "A"

March 31, 2018, 5:44 PM · I may have made a discovery but I doubt it. Beginners should be interested.
It seems that there is no "A" note (or any other).
There are notes that try but "timbre" interferes. That is not all bad.
For many years I suffered from poor intonation and the gremlin was timbre!

Replies (5)

Edited: April 1, 2018, 7:35 AM · I think I know what you mean Darlene. I sometimes 'play with the violin' as opposed to using it to 'play something'. With a pitch app, one can clearly see that there are lots of variables that affect pitch apart from where/how the fingers are placed. Bowing makes a huge difference, length of bow stroke, speed, sound point, weight, etc etc and that's before the left hand. Weight in finger, balance point of hand affecting finger angle, before your even get started on adding vibrato. Probably lots more too beyond my current understanding. That's why those fingerboard stickers are a mystery to me. How can anyone say where a correct note is by putting a sticker on the fingerboard rather than use your ears.
April 1, 2018, 10:48 AM · My dad was an acoustician, with an incredible ear for timbre, distortion etc, but considered himself unable to sing in tune. I think his ear was too absorbed by the spectrum to want to concentrate only on the fundamental.
April 1, 2018, 12:18 PM · For normal humans, not geniuses with perfect pitch; isolated notes, pitches can sound about the same. The real building blocks of music are not the 12 notes, but the 24 melodic intervals between pairs of notes.
April 1, 2018, 12:48 PM · I can play the viola just fine but I cannot sing in alto clef.
April 2, 2018, 9:26 AM · Topic title reminds me of the old song J'ai perdu le Do de ma clarinette. (Daddy will be so angry, etc.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases