Repaired Violin Bow

March 31, 2018, 2:15 PM · I am looking for a better bow within $2000. I came across a well-repaired broken Roy G. Guade bow for $1100. Its original price was $5000 and its current playable quality was far superior to that of all other selections in my price.

It has a splinter down the head and looks well repaired. I sadly wasn't able to get a photo of the splinter. The luthier told me, should it open again, he would repair it for $100.

Is it worth buying? What are the odds it will break again? I am very careful with my violin and bow and never drop them or bang them against things.

Replies (4)

March 31, 2018, 3:21 PM · It's called a spline, not a splinter, and that's the best way to repair a broken tip. Properly done it might be stronger than it was before the bow broke. But I'm going to refrain from advising you about whether to buy it.
March 31, 2018, 4:43 PM · I inherited a F.N Voirin bow in 1954. More than 20 years before that it entered our family before I was even born. About 20 years ago it broke when I let a violist borrow it for an orchestra rehearsal session. It was professionally repaired simply by gluing the long diagonal break (no thread wrap or any such thing) - according to the repairer it had apparently already been broken when it entered my family and I did not ever know it in the 43 years I had been using it (I don't think my father did either-and I still cannot see the repair without a magnifying glass and avery bright light). I can tell you from the wear of the frog this bow was very much loved and used for a century or so.

If the Guade is as good as you think it is I would buy it (if I wanted to buy a bow). Normally a $1,000 just doesn't buy that much these days.

April 1, 2018, 2:45 AM · Don't count on getting your money back but if it's as good as the $5000 ones I'd get it.
April 1, 2018, 3:07 AM · I once had a bow repaired with a spline. First time the spline soon fractured but second time the fix endured for several years (until I started using another bow)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases